• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My idea for a homemade block

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wardog50

I ve been trying to think of a good block to make myself and be effective at cooling.
I want to use a 3/4" inlet just because my pump has that as an output. I figured what the hey lets see how it works.

So anyway i have almost none of the necessary tools to cut metal properly. I can get the soldering torch and what not but that leaves alot to be in need of.
I need to come up with something easy and affordable on top of the above criteria of being effective. I thought about buying one of those plates from a cooling comany but they are all like 2x2.
Also I want to have something more to the base then just a flat piece of metal. I want to have some turbulance in thje chamber.
There again though I dont have tools to do it. I could drill some dimples but that is not the bestway from what Ive see.

My idea so far is to either go with the flat plain stock and do the drilled dimples or buy a koolance cpu-200 block and break the plastic top off. Then I could center the inlet over the top of the cpu to rush over top of it.
At either end i would then have a outlet to either 5/8 or 1/2 barbs. This would give me a good base and the 3/4 inlet that id like to try. Plus it should give decent performance.
However it would be a little more expenseve then the other method of making dimples in copper stock.

Do you guys think it would be worth the expense of buying the block for a pre-made base?
Do you think that some drilled dimples would perform adequetly?

Any other ideas would be great too.

Later

Wardog

You say you want it complicated, but I doubt that will be true when you get to working it. Put a 5/8" ID restriction, blast it right into the center, and then use the two barb method for exhausting. Dimples won't be bad.

If you want to make a block, search for rotor or #rotor for a style made by drilling copper with a drill press. The drill press is the only serious tool required. They work very well.

I tried to make a block by soldering copper fittings and plates together, but ended up buying a swiftech mcw5002. If I was to attempt making another block, it would be a rotor style.

I might try that rotor idea out.
It would be very easy and I could do it all myself.
Like you im not real sure if I can solder all the oieces together.
If I hired a shop to do it itd cost way more then it would be worth.
Maybe Ill call a few shops and see if I can get a deal on labor.

Wardog

If I with a do it yourself but used the 2x2 plates sold on some of these sights would that be large enough you think?

It seems that most other blocks are larger than that.

Thanks again

Wardog

you can go here for all your copper needs, www.onlinemetals.com.

As far as the koolance block, it appears to be very low and it has those funky tiny barbs on it, might be more trouble to mod than it'd be worth. Cool idea though.

Thanks for the sights guys.
Ill look around there some more.
Ive looked at onlinemetals but it seems like you need to buy a pretty big piece thats pretty expensive. Then Id still need to cut everything. I think I may have wat to do the cutting now though.
Do you think I might be able to get them to sell some smaller stuff?

Later

Wardog

bladerunner built a block based on a copper pin finned air cooled block and then added a cover w/ inlet and outlets ... course I gotta say his work is amazing

I think i ve seen it Ill have to search for his name and see if i can find some pics.
I forgot all about that.

Thanks

Wardog

onlinemetals will cut pieces for you. They even offer the first cut free of charge. I had put together an order one night for enough pieces of copper and lexan (polycarbonate) for three blocks and was still under $40 including shipping.

I just figuredit out, thanks.

I just never scrolled far enough down. If you stop at the first spot to select sizes etc you cant see that lower is a area for smaller stuff to be ordered.
My bad.

Thanks again

Wardog

Back