• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheapo US$38 Water Cooling Kit

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NovaShine

I saw a cheap water cooling kit being reviewed in a Chinese PC Mag here in HK and there's a WCing kit that's being sold for just US$38, or HK$300. It includes a Radiator, Pump, tubes, NorthBridge, CPU and Graphics Card waterblocks, but no reservoir (no need to buy one, has a fill bleed system included already). The pump and the radiator is included in one sleep plastic box that fits over the back of the computer and screws onto the PSU so that the fan on the PSU is the fan that drives air though the radiator.

It uses a pump rated at 260L/hr dunno how many GPH that translates into and runs off a 230V mains.

It achieved pretty poor results, reaching in excess of 60 degrees load on an AthlonXP 3200+ stock speeds, which i think is because of the hot air from the PSU blowing through the radiator and water temps were in the low 40s.

Do you think it's worth getting?

Im thinking of putting it on my NB and graphics card (i have a Thermalright SP-94 on the CPU), then modding my PSU and putting in a high speed, high CFM fan instead of the old low speed one to counteract the hot air.

For $38 dollars it might be worth getting to see what it does, though I wouldn't expect hardly anything from it. I would test it out on either something that doesn't get too hot, or something that you don't care about losing. That way if it doesn't cool worth a darn you won't fry your video card.

that would sound nice for a low end system, like a PII... heh.
There's no way a solution like that would out preform even stock cooling.
I'm sure the blocks are made of aluminum, copper would be to expensive. The pump is very weak, and the radiator is probably not even a heatercore, which cost at least 20 bucks on their own.
I believe they have some nice WC parts in hong kong though, as long as it's not a kit. Although, you could consider Senfu for a cheap kit, its not the best, but its cheap and mediocre. Keep in mind that cheap WC kits won't outpreform your current sp94/delta fan. You may need to speed over a $100 to do so.

He said he wants to just try it on his GPU and NB. Hey, did the review have all three blocks on?

If you dont mind spending the money, you should do it, even if it is for testing purpose only, except that I would only use it for the gpu if I was you, since the rating of the pump is every low (260L/hr = 65GPH). Now, with the information on the head capacity of the pump not available, it is hard to tell how it will perform, even with only one block attached to it, but I wouldn't keep my hope too high if I was you.

i think i know what you're talking about

its called the penta-aqua something right?

e.g. integrated pump thing right?

cpu block has blue or green plastic on the back and is glued in to the base right?

and then the other two blocks are also in a loop and the thing comes pre-filled?

with mobil-blue antifreeze?

DO NOT GET THE THING IF ITS THE THING I'M TALKING ABOUT

NOO NOO NO NO NOOO NO

if you dun mind the money and you're in asia somewhere go for the wayvet.com kit

should be about 1300 hk$ last i checked

Chineese Labor is really really cheap. Like 38 cents a hour. It's prolly not a bad deal really. I wish they would make water blocks. I mean $50 for a 25 cent piece of copper is a flat out rip-off.

Onlypro said:
BeerHunter, are you saying you could make me a good waterblock for cheaper than $50?

No way I would'nt even try just the CNC machine I would need would cost 125K plus too much work. But I'm saying they could.

fafnir said:
i think i know what you're talking about

its called the penta-aqua something right?

e.g. integrated pump thing right?

cpu block has blue or green plastic on the back and is glued in to the base right?

and then the other two blocks are also in a loop and the thing comes pre-filled?

with mobil-blue antifreeze?

DO NOT GET THE THING IF ITS THE THING I'M TALKING ABOUT

NOO NOO NO NO NOOO NO

if you dun mind the money and you're in asia somewhere go for the wayvet.com kit

should be about 1300 hk$ last i checked

yea, something along those lines, not sure about the waterblocks and prefil though.

Yea, the reviewer had all 3 blocks attatched.

Ill see if i can scan the document somewhere.

I thought it was too good to be true :rolleyes:

edit: the reviewer had his AthlonXP 3200+ idling at 50 or so degrees C and 62 at full load.

Sounds pretty crap, but it might be good for NB and Gcard.

yeah, everyone here is bashing it so bad but they don't have any real actual proof.. so spit some up or don't say anything at all about it

Re: Re: Cheapo US$38 Water Cooling Kit

Prandtl said:

Even if he was to scan the article, you think you could read it?

I would think HK stood for Hong Kong, so yes

Back