• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

installing black ice micro?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rabidchicken

im trying to install a black ice micro what is a good way of mounting it? having trouble figuring out how to attatch the fans...
does anyone know a simple way of doin it, or should i just try to find some screws long enough to go through the fan
thanks

When i had my micros all i did was find some short screws that fit the rad because the screws don't have to fit through both sets of holes on the fan unless you plan on using the same screws to mount your fan as well.
I hope thats clear enough for you if not i can try to explain more but its late in the uk.
Later

Ok here is how we did it, it was not easy and took a LOT of time, but it worked with just one minor issue.

First, we got two #6-32 6inc threaded rods and nuts from Home Depot. We took a screw from the PCI slot we had laying around and used that to thread the holes.

threading.jpg

Next, we took the 6inc rods and used needle noise pliers to screw into the holes. This was the hard part. The rods don’t go in very easy and you don’t want to slip...

rods.jpg

After both sides (eight rods in total (well minus one, we got tired of trying to get one in...) where in place we put a fan on the side opposite of the barbs and mounted that to the case.

radAttachedBack.jpg

The only issue we had with this is that we wanted to put a fan on each side. However, the barbs are placed so close to the holes that something would have to be done to the hose or the fan to get it to fit. We did not Dremel off the edges of this side so we could add a fan later.

radAttachedInside.jpg

If anyone has any better ideas feel free to speak up! Hope this will help someone else out as well.

I thought you were supposed to mount the fan to the rad using 4 fan-mounting screws from the inside out, then mount the fan to the case with another 4 fan-mounting screws.

Of course, with your case you have to deal with the fact that you don't have the normal 4 mounting holes in the case.

heres what you could do:

take 4 1/2 or 3/8" long 6-32 screws, put them through the fan holes closest to the rad and screw the fan to the rad, then screw the fan to the case.

Jon

Back