• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water cooling advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Contra

ok guys i didn't want to do it beacues of the expense but,

i need to got water cooled so what is a full cooling system that i can get i mean full like water block and pump and hoses (everything)

also its the box kinda thing i have seen that has a handle or something on it a water cooler or something like that?

i cool with fans but the noise is insane, 8 fans do great but are loud
with a h2o system or firdge kinda thing i am looking at reducing the sound and it will cool better right?
so give me suggestions for what to get under $250
remember FULL systems as i know nothing about it except how to put on the block (like a heatsink) right? lol

noise is my main reason for my decision
i am happy with my temps but my wife says less noise lol

cool i think the D-tek seems to be what i will go with, a few small questiond

and i'm sure everyone new to this asks
what about leaks? i know it is possiblt but is it likley
being that there is very little pressure?

and corrosion? do i have to use special additives to avoid corrosion?

and corrosion? do i have to use special additives to avoid corrosion?
A bottle of additive comes with the Dtec kit. If you leak-test before you put it in your case, used hose clamps, and then don't mess around pulling on hoses which can loosen them or wors, break something, leaks shouldn't be an issue.

Pntgrd's right. Make sure your clamps are all tight, that you use plumber's tape on any threaded connections, and make sure you leak test for at least a couple hours, preferably 24 hours or more, before you install. The DTek additive should work alright for corrosion. It helps to use distilled water (check a grocery store) instead of normal tap water.

ok, you wanna cool everything?

DO NOT GET THE MAD DOG KIT!!! it is a Thermaltake kit in disguise; total crap...

also the D-Tek kit, whilst awesome; doesn't cool everything;

here's my suggestion;

from DangerDen.com
Maze 4 CPU :: $40
Z-Chipset Block :: $35
Maze 4 GPU :: $40
Hydor L30 :: $50
10' Clearflex tube :: $15 (tygon if you can afford it)
Bayres :: $30
10x clamps :: $7.50 (make sure you tighten them with plyers)
Black Ice Extreme :: $60
120mm fan :: $10

TOTAL :: $287 + S&H

I know its abit higher than you would like but its the best in terms of price / performance;

to save some $$$; drop the Z-Chipset (mobo chipset) and get a $5 Zalman HS instead, make sure you have a few case fans in your case but little 25dbA or less fans will be fine...

that puts you just around $250

If you go with the D-Tek kit though, make sure you change the block from the Spir@l to the TC-4... Whitewater will be the 'best' but the 3 barbs are a PITA to setup....

Contra: WAIT! consider making your own sys. Get your own Heater Core from the auto store, mod it however you want it, make your own res if you want one, make you own fan shrouds, custom to fit your stuff, attach your Tygon or Clearflex tubes, tighten on your personally hand-lapped waterblock, select your own 120mm fans, decide what brand/model pond pump will run everything...

Jibjo, if i did this could i use a pump for an aquarium
and what kinda tubes should i use?
i can get a radiator from auto zone
and an aquarium pump
and make a res
but what kinda tubes should i use ?
automotive might me ok i guess(small diameter)
like for a heater core i guess and that would be the radiator
but hot would i know what kinda pump to use? and would the
GPM flow be ok?
then i guess i would have to buy a water block(shouldnt be a prob)

i think i will just for kicks! thanks do you have pics?

man this sounds fun, only one question

what additives should i use and not use?

Use Chemical PVC tubing from page 85 of www.mcmaster.com - it's on the left side, 1/2" ID, 1/8" Wall, 3/4" OD, should be .65/ft. You'll need about 10ft or so, to be on the safe side.

Get a Chevette Heatercore (around 1986). Aquarium pumps are what almost everyone uses. Popular ones are the Eheim 1250 and 1048, Danner Mag 3, Swiftech MCP600, and the Hydor L20 and L30.

I wouldn't suggest making your own block - it's a heck of a lot of work, and you'll need a lot more experience in watercooling before you go for it. Easier to buy one now.

GPM should be fine...this is what everyone does. In fact, the DTek kit is just a polished version of that. A modified easy to fit Chevette core, good pump, great waterblock, etc. Jiblo - this is the second thread where you've steered people away from the DTek kit...it's actually a very good deal, especially for beginners. It's going to perform as well as most DIY setups anyway...in fact, the DTek kit basically IS DIY.

ok, i have a thought, what if i use something non-corrosive in the system like mineral oil
i am sure someone has tried it before(or suggested it)

would it work?

i would need a little larger pump but would the oil thicken as it got warmer?
woild this be a good idea i am only asking because it will not hurt my board and stuff or how about thin motor oil?

is this a stupid idea?

Contra: No to adding oil of any kind. The main thing is to start with pure water, distilled, in bottles from the grocery store is good. Then, be really careful adding anything else. For corrosion resistance, you can add car antifreeze, but adding any less than 25% to total water probably won't do you any good, according to the manufacturers, many of whom recommend 50% or more. There are other anti-corrosive products people use, some really good, some not so good (do some research on that). A lot of people say that corrosion won't be a problem anyway under normal operating conditions with plain distilled water. Some people also add algaecides from the pet store, or various kinds of dye to color the water.

Also, johan851 is correct in saying I was one-sided in my comments: that the Dtek kit is really basically a DIY project in itself. It uses the same parts as you would assemble in a homemade rig and will perform equally well. I will say only that I personally got a great deal of satisfaction planning and modding as much of everything as I could on my own.

For more info on kits, go to the front page and look at the test results for cooling effectiveness. http://www.overclockers.com/articles373/waterkit.asp

Back