• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can you put the Heater Core upside down?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Randalthas

Registered
I was wondering if it was a bad idea to mount the heater core with the barbs towards the bottom of the case. I've seen them on their sides, but not upside down. Does it make a difference or am I just pannicing?

personally i think the orientation of the heatercore will affect anything, i could be wrong but i seriously doubt it.

pauldenton said:
just need to be careful when setting up, since there would be a risk of air being trapped in it...
Exactly, just make sure to rotate the case around when you are bleeding the system.

Right, the only problem would be air trapped in it. As long as you turn the case upside down while you're bleeding it, you should be alright.

I'll do that. I'm trying to bleed the thing while it's outside the case. It's a little bit easier to flip it around that way. Thanks for the help.

I think it may impact your flow a bit, as you will be pushing water up, and it may not give optimal flow through all the radiator fins.

one thing you could do however is solder a bleed tube to the end of it, which would work excellent for bleeding

With the difficulty of removing ALL air from a system, I think the suggestion of adding a bleed tube to the top (whatever side that is!) is a great idea.

Bubbles so small as not to be seen can exist for quite some time in the system and having no provision for getting rid of them at the high point in the rad may slightly reduce effectiveness. I doubt if it would be severe or even noticeable, but.....

I've ran them upright, upside down, and on the side. All worked fine for me. :)
With the difficulty of removing ALL air from a system, I think the suggestion of adding a bleed tube to the top (whatever side that is!) is a great idea
I modified a DTek rad with a bleed tube coming straight out of the top of it. It made bleeding almost as easy as having a res and worked extremely well. The only downfall it had was it was tall; I used a 1/2" barb and the same tubing my system ran so it made it rather bulky. It made the standard core as tall as the duel fan ones but like I said worked really well. It might still be floating around the forum somewhere as I sold it in the classifieds.

Back