• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TIP to silence a vibrating pump

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gungeek

TIP to silence a vibrating pump (pics inside)

My pump isn't loud, but it does vibrate some. If the pump vibrations get to the case, it will cause a loud hum and you can feel the case vibrating. Setting the pump on 2 thicknesses of old mousepad didn't help much. Suspending the pump with a small diameter elastic cord isolated the pump vibrations. The system is much quieter now. Notice the black bungie cord going up. This is a close-up shot of a Quiet One 1200 pump.:D
bungie_pump.JPG

It is suspended from a wooden ruler on top of the power supply and floppy drive. There are probably more elegant and permanent ways, but it proved the suspension concept. The cardboard box is to keep the ruler level. This is one way to cap a T-line.

bungie_top.JPG

The Vantec Nexus also helps control noise. I'm not sure I'd recommend the Nexus controller, but I bought it so I use it. That is a hard drive mounted between the floppy drive and Nexus.

bungie_nexus.JPG

For pictures of the overall system, see here: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=260250
This was before suspending the pump and adding the fan controller.

Last edited:
I hang my pump as well a 1250 and now it's silent unless you're within 3inches. but i use elastic bands and they work fantastically as the elastic absorbs the vibrations and because of the elastic it holds it in place very solidly too.

Mousepads worked alright for me, but everyone's situation is different. Bet that works even better! :)

johan851 said:
Mousepads worked alright for me, but everyone's situation is different. Bet that works even better! :)

I tried 1 mousepad then 2 stacked and even a third briefly, they just didn't isolate the vibrations. I suspect because the elastic streches easier, it may absorb vibrations better. The little bungie strap almost sings with vibration but it keeps it from getting to the case and that's enough. I wish a mousepad had been enough, much simpler to set up.

What I'm using is essentially a round elastic band instead of the common flat variety. It's about 1/16" diameter.

Sounds pretty good. I think I get a little case vibration too, but it doesn't bug me...is your computer on carpet?

johan851 said:
Sounds pretty good. I think I get a little case vibration too, but it doesn't bug me...is your computer on carpet?

The computer sits on medium carpet for now. It does pick up alot of dust and fibers, but the air is cooler down there. I may make a stand to raise it a few inches.

Try lifting your pump slightly with the computer running. If you notice a noise reduction, then some elastic could be your friend.

I'm on a bit of a noise reduction mission after finding the rad fan at 12V when I thought it was at 7V; quite a sound difference. With the fan controller, I can tweak and find the noisier components. Now that the pump noise is mostly gone, the PSU fan is next on the hit list.

Hey, heres an idea. Could you get the same effect by suspending the pump by clever arrangement of the tubing such that it doesn't allow the pump to touch the case? I am working on revision 2 of my external rig and thought of this idea while reading your thread. Imagine having the pump's outlet port connected to a HC but with tubing that is short, thus preventing the pump from touching the case. Do you think the tubing will absorb vibrations like the elastic does?

MoreGooder said:
No, I mean having the tubing hold up the pump. Too much weight on the HC's barb maybe?

more of a case of the tube flattening and restricting flow. I don't think I want my heavy-a** mag3 sitting on my loops ;)

i was actually thinking of doing that, I am going to try it with some twine if i can find my roll of the stuff...

I was planning something like this with my old Hydor L30, but gave up due to space restrictions, and me being worried it would mess up the pump to be running upside-down (which you've cleverly avoided in your setup). Looks awesome, and you've pulled it off really well space-wise too :).

You should chop a blowhole in your side panel, and setup a silent little 80mm fan for cooling your pump off ;)

I use CCM Bicycle Inner Tubing to kill vibration (get the fattest one you can, more rubber for your money). It works much better than mousepad, and is REALLY cheap. Being black, it isn't even noticeable in my black case either. Try it out, it's the best $5 investment you'll make in a long time (it really does work wonders for vibrating fans, etc.).

A buddy of mine just uses Latex condoms, but they look a little but weird in his rig :D.

Back