• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Conversion from BIX to HC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

White94Cobra

Registered
After reading here how lowsy the BIX is (backpressure etc) I swapped my BIX for a 6x6 heatercore. The BIX had two 120mm fans in a push/pull with 35cfm rating per fan. The HC has two shrowds installed with two 120mm fans in a push/pull with 80cfm rating per fan. My system now runs 3C warmer idle and 6C warmer full load!

Adding the BIX after the CPU/GPU and before the res. helped cool the new setup by 2C but it's still warmer than before.

Is the BIX better than everyone gives credit?

Probly lost the degree in the mounting process, no two mounts are the exact same, and you TIm also needs a few days with a few on and offs to set.

All I did was remove the BIX and install the HC. I didn't change anything else...

Is this a new heatercore? Are you sure water flows nicely through it?
You said that the block was not removed. With the new configuration, is the tubing pulling or putting pressure on the block? That can cause problems. Did changing the rad cause the block to move even a little?

If the cpu die temp difference between idle and load is greater than 4-5C, then the cpu-TIM-block interface has a problem. Easiest fix for that is probably to remount the block and check for tubing pressure at the same time.

I think you must still have some air trapped in the system. Let it circulate for a few hours. Then make sure the HC has no bubbles trapped in it.

6x6 heater core wont offer much of an area increase versus BIX. In fact in your case performance is actually worse - should have gone for BIX2.:D

calvin said:
6x6 heater core wont offer much of an area increase versus BIX. In fact in your case performance is actually worse - should have gone for BIX2.:D

Isn't a heatercore about twice as thick as a BIX? wouldn't that be double the surface area? At a lower flow resistance? Now why is the heatercore a bad option?

gungeek said:

Isn't a heatercore about twice as thick as a BIX? wouldn't that be double the surface area? At a lower flow resistance? Now why is the heatercore a bad option?

...........and much better forced convection if it is properly shrouded.

Never said it was a bad option. In fact its a good option.

Back