• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Molten LAVA HOT Johnston DC pump 29.99

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
There've been some complaints about its reliablilty...

I was looking at it when I made my WC system but everyone that commented about it had bad things to say...

Sanjuro: Yes. It a DC motor driving a magnetic coupler so the inpeller is in a sealed housing and there are no seals on the motor shaft. The mfg states that the brush life is 2500 hrs.

Cathar said:
I no longer think that they are all that good.

What changed? The PQ curves you posted in that other thread with me a couple days ago certainly were impressive for this pump.. And at $30 seems to be no brainer?

BeerHunter said:

What changed? The PQ curves you posted in that other thread with me a couple days ago certainly were impressive for this pump.. And at $30 seems to be no brainer?

First, read this thread for details on the SurplusCenter Johnson pump. Read all of that thread.

The PQ curves were for the CM30P7-1, not the CO30P5-1 which is what you're looking at on SurplusCenter.

Spending $30 on something that will die within 3-5 months, possibly taking your CPU with it when they overheat, is $30 better spent elsewhere as far as I'm concerned.

Same with the Johnson CM30P7-1, which is a mag-drive instead. It still uses brushes on the motor which spins a magnet armature that through magnetic force rotates the impeller shaft, and has a rated life-span of 2500hrs (~3 months), with an internal engineering approximation of 4000hrs max (~5 months) before the brushes wear out.

Believe me BeerHunter, that Laing D4 pump you linked to the other day is the best thing I've seen in over 2 years of assessing pumps. Good enough on paper at least for me to order two to try for myself.

Cathar said:

First, read this thread for details on the SurplusCenter Johnson pump. Read all of that thread.

The PQ curves were for the CM30P7-1, not the CO30P5-1 which is what you're looking at on SurplusCenter.

Spending $30 on something that will die within 3-5 months, possibly taking your CPU with it when they overheat, is $30 better spent elsewhere as far as I'm concerned.

Same with the Johnson CM30P7-1, which is a mag-drive instead. It still uses brushes on the motor which spins a magnet armature that through magnetic force rotates the impeller shaft, and has a rated life-span of 2500hrs (~3 months), with an internal engineering approximation of 4000hrs max (~5 months) before the brushes wear out.

Believe me BeerHunter, that Laing D4 pump you linked to the other day is the best thing I've seen in over 2 years of assessing pumps. Good enough on paper at least for me to order two to try for myself.

Thank you sir for the edification..I have seen the light. :D

"Believe me BeerHunter, that Laing D4 pump you linked to the other day is the best thing I've seen in over 2 years of assessing pumps. Good enough on paper at least for me to order two to try for myself. "

Eh, I missed this... I emailed Laing for complete information including the stuf we talked about in that other thread, however, now, I'm tring to get a handle on the iwakis 24V DC pumps (RD series) since thier distributor says they only output 20dB.. One problem is this stat is not confirmed by anything I found at Iwakis website so it may be eronious. However, if the noise levels and PQ levels can be confirmed this brushless pump will most likey will win the crown, form me at least. The 24V is a problem though sicne most rails ar'nt designed to support it..

I've already reseached the RD pumps, in particular the RD-20 you refer to.

Read this document if you haven't already.

For 24V operation you could just run a step-up transformer attached to your PSU's 12V rail to bump your 12V rail to 24V for the pump. Such transformers around about $20US (I live in Australia so you can probably get them for cheaper in the USA).

However, we get to the serious problems. They suck down a fair amount of power, being around 60W (2.5A @ 24V under normal use). That's a lot. Worse is the startup in-rush current. 8A @ 24V, or if you were running a transformer, probably around 18-20A @ 12V in-rush into the transformer. That's going to cause most any PC PSU I can think of to overload and shut-down before the PC even powers up the moment you push the power-on button. My Antec 550W PSU supplies 24A on the 12V, but given the in-rush load of other peripherals and the motherboard, there's no way even it could handle the power-on current requirements.

Then we get to the price. Find out how much one costs, and then get back to us. Word of warning: make sure you're lying flat on a soft surface before the representative gives the price to you. When Iwaki says "easy on the budget", they're referring to company budgets, not an individual's.

As for the Iwaki's noise, "as low as 40dBA" is not really heartening reading material on an advertising brochure, if your quest is silence.

Last edited:
:D hehe

We need to design our own pump, just for water cooling, much in the same spirit you did waterblock which fairs better than the "big boys"...:)

Back