• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Making yet another wb...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sssnake

Registered
Making a waterblock...

What do you guys think of this as an idea for a waterblock:

I got a 20x30mm peice of copper, sawed out of a old heatsink. it is 8mm high, with a base of 5mm and square fins cut down to 3mm.

Now im thinking of placing the copper peice inside a peice of 5mm thick brass, for base of a wb, and then solder another 5mm brass bar onto that one (with a channel cut out) and then yet another with barbs. im gonna cool a AMD chip so i really dont need it to be all copper, and i had a substancial peice of brass lying around....

The copper peice will be positioned in the middle of the block, 1 cm from each of the longside edges. the brass peices will be 5x50x76mm.

Now some questions:
First of all what do u think of that design?
And should i use 3 barbs (1 in, 2 out) or just one in one out?
And should i bother to make some kind of jet nozzle or just let it be?

Should i even bother making it?

Last edited:
I am interested in hearing some responses to your questions as well. I do have some ideas based on the info iv'e absorbed from these forums over the last few months, and am making a waterblock very much like the one you describe. I am using a .999 pure 1 troy oz silver bar 50mm x 30mm x 2mm. My original idea was to use copper for the body of block, but have instead encased the silver bar in lucite. Soldering the layers together seemed intimidating, and I had some lucite laying around so I whipped out the dremel and altered my design a little (well a lot).

I like your design and believe it should work well (mine is almost identical after all:)), although the 5mm base seems a little thick.

IMO and I could be wrong (probably am) three or more barbs is just an easy way to splitup the flow in a parallel system (replacement for a Y). I don't believe that the number of barbs affects the efficiency of the system in any other way.

a jet nozzle would be something you could experiment with pretty easily, monitoring with and without and noting any difference.

Yes, you should make it.

Hmmm. ye, i think you´re right bout the thickness. took it down to 3mm base now. cant go much further, since copper aint as stiff as silver...

Back