• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

writeup on the Target Rubbermaid container!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lt. Max

Well the original thread on this container seems to have created quite a bit of interest. So i decided to create a proper writeup on this very cheap and very effective shroud.

In the local Target i bought mine from, they were going for 99 cents a piece.
Here is a picture from the side. Thanks to iNSiGMA for this picture.

Pictures are worth a thousand words. So i took a couple.
The container!

The container is pretty deep. So the first idea was putting the fans inside the shroud, like so. This is a 120mmx38mm Panaflo.

Let's locate the tools we need:
- First find a sharpie or something similar to mark the container with.
- Find a CD, preferably an old or blank one so theres no harm done if you damage it.
- We need a sharp cutting tool. A razor bladed knife is what I used, and it works perfectly. A dremel would make this job too easy :)
- We also need a drill, to make fan holes. With a drill bit thats about the size of the screws. I just picked one from the tool box in the shed so i have no idea what the size is. (sorry :))
- And last, but definately not least, have PLENTY of patience. If you don't (like me), you will get small cracks in the container from pressing too hard with the knife.

SO, now that we have that, lets get started.
1) Take the sharpie (or other marking tool) and put the CD inside the container. Try to center the CD to the best of your ability, and draw a circle around it. I used the fan, since i didn't think about the CD first, so my circle is not pretty

2) Next, lets go to the shed (or somewhere where your mom/gf/wife won't be mad at you for damaging anything) and place the container upside down (you can see the marking you made through it). Now take the cutting utensil, and slowly go in circles (I made about 3-4, before it started to cut through it).
Picture!

3) Now finish the second container off the same way and let's get onto drilling. Take the drill bit that fit exactly in the fan's screw hole, and put the fan right in the middle of the container, approximately where you marked it. Steady it to the best of your ability, and turn the container around, and mark the spots for screw holes. Try to make sure the fan doesnt move between individual markings or else you are going to be in trouble. Then proceed with drilling.

4) Now comes the final laborous phase. Time to cut off the siding of the container. Place the container upside down, and start going around the sides with the knife. The corners will be hard, so you might have to press down more to cut through there.
The result.

Now finish the other container. I'm fast forwarding back inside the house here. Put the fan either inside or outside the container, depending on how much space you have. Putting the fan outside the container is ideal, so the compromise I made is putting the intake fan outside, so the air goes through more fins, and the sucking fan inside. This is my final result (in these pictures both the fans are still inside)

The big picture
Closer...
Up close and personal

This is the final result. The container is a very nice fit, there is some looseness, so it doesnt fit Perfectly and I tried making the container thinner by cutting off the straight part before it curves inwards (you know what I'm talking about once you have one in hand). The container was too small now! (and I destroyed it :mad:) So don't try this, because it wont fit on your heatercore. (at least not on the 86 chevette one that i got)

I hope I helped someone by making this writeup, I think ill send it for front page publishing as well, but I'll submit it here first, since im still in High School and English is my second language. If I made any huge mistakes maybe someone can point them out :)

Special thanks go out to iNSiGMA, for hosting the pictures for me, BigSmokey, for discovering this great container and MoreGooder, for reminding me about the use of a CD as a 120mm hole template. Thanks!

If you hurt yourself or anything while following my guidelines, don't hold me responsible, because I'm not!

Max

Last edited:
Great writeup! Thank you!.

One tip that I have seen many times: A CD makes a perfect template for a 120mm fan. Just run your sharpie around the outside of it to make a perfect circle that is also nearly the perfect size!

Nope, don't mind at all! I didn't think of it originally though. I have no idea who originally suggested the CD as a template for a 120mm fan. Feel free to mention this in your formal write-up, but no need to credit me for the idea at all.

i have a question Lt. Max, i have the same antec 10bay case that you do. what did you use to remove the rivets that hold the ledge that once supported your second drive cage?

alright, thanks everyone for reading.

Performance increase: I can't really tell, because it is not much different from the setup I had before, but I think this will perform as good as the metal shrouds if you seal off the sides so there's no air leaks.

ogboot: i used a drill with a metal drillbit to get the rivets out.. took a while, and i broke 2 drill bits, so make sure u buy enough, i had to go back to the store once to get more haha. make sure the drill bit is small enough to fit in the hole of the rivet.. i dont remembe the size again cause i never look at that, i just eyeball everything.

max

Last edited:
thanks, max, though that is discouraging news. my poor rechargeable drill will take a week :D

How does the plastic respond to sanding? ( The edges look a little pokey where it could not cut even.) Also, could you use a magic marker instead of permanent, dont want 1/2 a black circle on the shroud, even if it wont be visible with a black fan. Anyone try paintin too, I believe krylon plastic spray should work good(the same used for plastic cases?)

Back