• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

obsolete

Going to purchase a water cooling kit. Not for extreme overclocking or anything. More less because I spend enough in fans/cpu heatsinks that I just may as well. That & I have my pc oc'ed already, so, would not be a half bad idea.

Anyways, here is what I am thinking of getting.......(Dangerden.com)
CPU Waterblock - Maze4-1 AMD
Top type - Copper Top for Maze 3&4
Chipset block - Z-Chipset waterblock
Vidcard - Nahh, don't oc my video card, it's fine, lol...
Fitting size - 3/8 Fittings
Fitting Type - Chrome, Brass, or Polypropylene? I was thinking Chrome?
Radiator - Black Ice Extreme (black)
Fan - Papst 120mm 4 pin plug
Peltier - Not really going to the extreme, maybe in future.
Pump - Hydor L20
Tubing - 10 feet of Tygon tubing
Reservoir - Clear Cylindrical Reservoir
Water Additives - Needed? Can use just straight distilled water right?
Hold down style - Stainless steel option, socket tab or standard.......Not sure, thinkin standard
&&&&&& 10 hose clamps

Let me know if you think it all looks good to go. $286 is end cost. (I understand how everything works & all to some degree, just a complete newb & you guys are more experienced) Thanks for the input!!

-ºb§

If you're willing to throw down $286, much better can be had. You just need to know where to look. Give me a few minutes to see what I can dig up.

The Maze 4-1 is for a Peltier. You don't want to use one. Get a White water instead. Z-chip restricts flow, and with a Hydor L20 you need to conserve all you can. I suggest a stronger pump, a cheaper and better radiator (Namely, a heater core) Switch to 1/2" tubing, it costs the same, and it's better. Fitting type shouldn't matter, but I suggest some sort of metal. Tygon is expensive... Go with Clearflex 60, You should add some sort of additive, such as Antifreeze or Swiftech Hydrx. Standard hold down will work fine, but only if you have motherboard holes for mounting.

Great!!! Thanks guys!!! In all honestly I do not know where to look. Not that I am not willing to take the time, I just do not always have the time.......

Skip that setup then. I'm more less lookin for a "kit". I was thinkin Asetek or something from Swiftech.......But those kina seem cheap. I guess I just need some help in gettin a watercooled rig, any input would be great, I apologize as I do not have a ton of time to do the research. Tell me to screw off if you'd like, lol. Hoping for some help, Thanks!

Chemical PVC tubing at Mcmaster.com This stuff is high quality ClearFlex 60. Same properties as Tygon, but allot cheaper. 10" of 1/2" ID is $6.50

FEDCO 2-226 heater core at NAPA online. The same thing as the Dtek ProCore, but cheaper and offering better performance than a Black Ice Extreme. Price - $21.99

D-Tek shrouds. Two of the should be used with the radiator. total price for 2, $29.98

White Water @ D-Tek. IMO, the best performing block on the market. $49.99

Dnager Den Z-Chip NB block, all tricked out. $39.95

Fans - I'll leave this one up to you since I have no idea what your noise tolerance is, but I'll budget $25 for two of them.

MAG 3 at Marinedepot.com. IMO, and many will agree with me, the best pressure/flow characteristics of a pump for our application. $39.99

Ditch the reservior. T-lines are simpler and cheaper.

Fittings - what ever tickles your fancy, except the for the intake for the pump. Use plastic for that. The MAG 3's have a habit of splitting open when metal fittings are used.

Misc stuff - Additives, fittings, and clamps. $30 is a generous amount.

$243.40 total. This is a much better option than the DD kit. Even if you get screwed on shipping, and it eats the $40 left over, you've still come out ahead.

All the vendors I listed, I have done buisness with and trust.

Wow!, I really appreciate you looking up all of that for me. That system looks to be a bit more on the "high-end" performer, which is fine. Also a little bit more customized then I was thinking, thats alright to! lol :eek:

ONLY thing I really do not understand out of that is T-lines. Taking a shot in the dark here, is it a tube or a whole like "gauge" (excuse my terminology here :p ) that you poor liquid into to fill your sys? Also the radiator with the two D-tek shrouds & 2 120 mm fans on either side of the radiator seems to me like that will get a bit spacey!! No biggy, just pointing concerns & or the obvious out.

Noise really is not a problem. I mean.....I have three 4800 Smart Case fans by Thermaltake running in my case at full speed at times. I also have the Thermaltake Volcano 12 (has a Smart Case fan for airflow). Pretty noisey!! If I was blind, it may sound like I'm going for a ride in an airplane, lol, j/k, not that bad.

Anyways, thanks Uber!

Regarding T-lines. I'm horrible at describing them. Look around the forums for pictures, there are plenty. The T-line is a tube that intersects the main coolant line at a "T". It is used as a fill/air bleed point and is usuallt located right before the pump. Very simple to impliment.

For fans I recomend Panaflo H1A's.

UberBlue said:
Chemical PVC tubing at Mcmaster.com This stuff is high quality ClearFlex 60. Same properties as Tygon, but allot cheaper. 10" of 1/2" ID is $6.50

FEDCO 2-226 heater core at NAPA online. The same thing as the Dtek ProCore, but cheaper and offering better performance than a Black Ice Extreme. Price - $21.99

D-Tek shrouds. Two of the should be used with the radiator. total price for 2, $29.98

White Water @ D-Tek. IMO, the best performing block on the market. $49.99

Dnager Den Z-Chip NB block, all tricked out. $39.95

Fans - I'll leave this one up to you since I have no idea what your noise tolerance is, but I'll budget $25 for two of them.

MAG 3 at Marinedepot.com. IMO, and many will agree with me, the best pressure/flow characteristics of a pump for our application. $39.99

Ditch the reservior. T-lines are simpler and cheaper.

Fittings - what ever tickles your fancy, except the for the intake for the pump. Use plastic for that. The MAG 3's have a habit of splitting open when metal fittings are used.

Misc stuff - Additives, fittings, and clamps. $30 is a generous amount.

$243.40 total. This is a much better option than the DD kit. Even if you get screwed on shipping, and it eats the $40 left over, you've still come out ahead.

All the vendors I listed, I have done buisness with and trust.
?worth swapping the z-chip for dtek NB block?
same price, looks less restrictive and it'd cut out one lot of shipping.....

Yeah thanks for the advice paul, not sure on performance wise.

Hmmm.....I was thinkin you used 120 mm fans for the radiator. If it's 80 MM. Well I'll just use my Smart Case fans!! They have fan control knobs & all, plus rpm sensors!! Great I can cut one cost!!

I'll look around for the T-line deal, I pretty much thought thats what it was, I have seen them. I'll look through the forums to find some links for purchasing. Also I have plastic tie wraps that I could probably use for all the fittings in installing this don't ya think? Just use two or somethin for every connection....

THANKS A TON, MUCH APPRECIATED!!

All you need for a T-line is a 1/2" T and some spare tubing. About $.99 at the hardware store. And you'll have plenty of tubing left over to use.

Zip-ties could be used, but screw type hose clamps are the prefered method. I picked up a bag of 10 at Home Depot for about $5.

Here is a beutiful picture of a T-line.
side.jpg

Ahh!! Ok that was not what was thinking, but this is a much better method then I had in mind. Well great!! I'll order all this stuff at the end of the week.

I have a feeling this is going to get expensive though......

Thanks again Uber, I really appreciate the help! I'll post some results in about a month or so when all my parts arrive & I put it all together, lol!:rolleyes:

Oh, I was thinkin to, you mentioned using plastic tie wraps for securing the pump.......The tubing used is pretty thick no? Will plastic secure that down enough?

obsolete said:
Oh, I was thinkin to, you mentioned using plastic tie wraps for securing the pump.......The tubing used is pretty thick no? Will plastic secure that down enough?

That's why I said plastic tie-wraps *could* be used, but aren't the prefered method. Metal screw type hose clamps like the ones in the picture would be best.

Oh yeah, almost forgot a minor detail. When you order the tubing from McMaster, get it with 1/8" wall. Part# 5231K237 is what you need. The 1/8" wall resist kinking better.

Also when you order from McMaster, be advised you'll have no idea what they will charge for shipping, but it WILL be resonable.

This might be a dumb question to add in but Im in the same situation and if I could spend about 250 then I would be happy. Anyway would it be beter performance with 2 80mm shroud and 2 fans or a single 120?

so if I went with this setup would I even need the two shrouds or woulod it mount straight on to the heater core???

Another dumb question what other fittings and other pieces would I need. Other thne the pump fittings and the T fitting??

Last edited:
you could just mount the 120mm fans directly to the heatercore, but you lose performance doing that. There is a dead spot in the f the center of the fans, the point of the shroud is to eliminate/reduce this dead spot. Hope this helps.

And btw a custom setup could be made for alot cheaper then this. but it wont perform as well. my setup for example is around 100 without shipping.

Well if you get that heatercore from Napa. You will need a reducer for one of the valves. One of the valves on the heatercore is 1/2 (which is fine) & the other is a 5/8. So you will need a reducer, 5/8 to 1/2.

Apparently the pump has a tendency to crack. I'm thinking of using plastic ties for sealing the input & output on the pump. I'll be ordering all this tomorrow!

Oh, remember space to! That heatercore with two shrouds & two fans is going to be a bit spacey. I'm currently measuring out different places in my case.........

obsolete said:
Well if you get that heatercore from Napa. You will need a reducer for one of the valves. One of the valves on the heatercore is 1/2 (which is fine) & the other is a 5/8. So you will need a reducer, 5/8 to 1/2.

Apparently the pump has a tendency to crack. I'm thinking of using plastic ties for sealing the input & output on the pump. I'll be ordering all this tomorrow!

Oh, remember space to! That heatercore with two shrouds & two fans is going to be a bit spacey. I'm currently measuring out different places in my case.........

worst comes to worst you dont need any of your 5 1/4 drives right:p

Back