• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

to water cool NB or not? pt. 7million

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

__TRONIK__

My main question is whether anyone has ever seen appreciable gains in their fsb by watercooling the NB. There are a couple specific variables in my rig that might affect suggestions though.

I am going super cooling for CPU. Gpu gets a pelt (tec) cooled by watercooling loop. What I am debating is whether to watercool NB taking this info into account:

@223fsb 1.9-2.0 vdd, and with the stock abit NB fan (lapped+as3) The HSF is barely warm at all.

A NB waterblock would run in a loop with the hot side of the peltier's water. ATM I would be using a dangerden maze4 cpu block for the NB w/ some arctic silver epoxy, unless I can get a deal on a chipset blocck. They are tres pricey for the size/sophistication of most. A chevette rad is in the loop as well with a via aqua 1300.

I also have a lapped aluminum intel 386 heatsink of the proper proportions that is actively cooled as an air alternative to a WB.

My ultimate goal here is more FSB of course. What do you think?

do you know the current temps on the NB ?

If it really isnt producing much heat at the moment then i dont think you would see any gain in fsb by WCing it. If however it is hot, but somehow you're just not feeling it then WC away. You already have the loop set up, it wont cost you very much more to WC and it will just look awesome with no fans ;D

latest advice I have gotten is that you do not want pelt water going directly into the chipset block. I would have to go from gpu->rad->NB->pump. I think I will jsut use the intel sink - it shoud be serious enough ot remove heat as a possible source for the old brick wall. Now I need to find some nuts/bolts thin enough for the job. Home Depot's smallest are always juuust too big for the NB holes/gpu holes.

done and done. Heatsink fan it is...itll be kinda cool - elaborate phase change on the cpu and gpu while the NB has a relic of yesteryear - what used to be enough!

Back