• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two DD/D-Tek Pro radiators or one 2-342 rad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i think running 2 pro radiators in parallel would give better cooling potentional as it would increase the flow in your set up..

Good question marc999 I hope some more people can comment on this. I wanted to buy 2 pro cores with 4 shrouds and 4-120mm fans since I have no idea how to make a shroud for a 2-342 (and would be convenient for me to have it pre-made)...but the prices on those pro-cores are killing me. In any case I would rather wait a little longer and save some more money if the pro-core alternative is the "better" way to go.

P.S. I really like reading about water cooling and i'm very eager to buy my first setup but if i were to buy my "dream" setup it would cost me close to $600.00 and that's without shipping..:eek: auchhh!!:(

If the prices are the problem, then get '86 Chevette Heater cores... You can just buy the procore shrouds. 600 dollars? You've done something wrong, or stupid.

I use two heatercores in parallel and it definately helps flow, not sure if the 1048 would be up to it though i use a 1250 personally.

see here

As for the price point of view you could always go to the scrap yard and pickup some real cheap heatercores, i did costs me aprrox $16 for the both of them.

Later

Maybe but keep in mind I did say "dream" setup:
White Water -54.99
2 Pro-cores -77.98 (parallel)
4 Shrouds -59.96
4-120mm -47.96
Bayrez -24.99 (Going on top on my "T" for aesthetics only.)
10' Clearflex -15.00
Chipset mcw20 -37.95
Gpu mcw50 -38.95 (AIW 9800)
Pump MD20RLZT -179.99
Criticool Power P -28.95
+ Zerex, UV Dye, Fittings, ect...

Unless I'm doing something terribly wrong with this setup, it'll take me close to 600.00

I'm very interested to see how 2 pro's fare against 1 "2-342" as it would be the economical choice.

redken said:
I'm very interested to see how 2 pro's fare against 1 "2-342" as it would be the economical choice.
You should bag the res for sure, why have it at all? It will hinder flow and could break/crack/leak... you also don't need the 20RZT. Great pump, but keep watching ebay, you should consider the MD-15R, better balance and smaller. As far as the rads are concerned, there would be little difference I would think. The 2 D-Tek's in parallel (how I run mine) would offer similar flow resistance to the 2-342 and they offer similar surface area. Running the 2 D-Tek's in series will offer about twice the flow resistance of the 2-342.

I was thinking on including a res only for aesthetics and put it on top of a "T" line, so I thought it would not hinder flow as it was not part of the loop. As for the "break/crack/leak" part all I can say is that they should make one that doesn't and will take your advice and not put it in the system:(
About the pump, I wasn't sure if the MD-15R would be strong enough as doesn't come in the "z" variety.
As for the rads, if they are pretty much the same, it would be a better choice for me to go with the pro's although much more expensive.

redken said:
I was thinking on including a res only for aesthetics and put it on top of a "T" line, so I thought it would not hinder flow as it was not part of the loop. As for the "break/crack/leak" part all I can say is that they should make one that doesn't and will take your advice and not put it in the system:(
About the pump, I wasn't sure if the MD-15R would be strong enough as doesn't come in the "z" variety.
As for the rads, if they are pretty much the same, it would be a better choice for me to go with the pro's although much more expensive.
I just wouldn't have an unnecessary part like the bay res in there. If it serves no benefit, then it can only cause problems in the long run IMO. I have heard of the seems coming apart possible due to water additives eating the epoxy away. The MD-15R is plenty strong enough, yet adds minimal heat to the loop.

nikhsub1 wrote:
The 2 D-Tek's in parallel (how I run mine) would offer similar flow resistance to the 2-342 and they offer similar surface area. Running the 2 D-Tek's in series will offer about twice the flow resistance of the 2-342.
Thanks for the info. Since they cool about the same, I probably would prefer the 2-342 since it just seems like a simpler way of doing things. It's good to know that if I did choose the 2 D-Teks that I should put them in parallel. The thing I like about the 2 D-Deks is they would integrate well into a windtunnel, but the extra tubing is kinda a PITA.

Back