• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seeking last bits of advice on a first-time WC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Glumy

Registered
Hi everyone, I've been reading this forum for 2-3 weeks now and I must say, I've learned alot from many of your posts and all most all the time, people leave hard facts and persuasive reasoning when they state their opinions. Very helpful! I'd also like to apologize in advance if this post goes a bit long but I'm trying to clear up some concerns I have about building my first WC. But first a bit of background on my selection:

Months ago i was about to buy the Koolance case that had a WC pre-installed, I then found this forum and decided against that. Then I decided a Swiftech WC kit, and shortly thereafter found dtekcustoms website. At this point i figured - ok, I'll start looking at parts individually. I read advice on water blocks, pumps, radiators (and heaterblocks), tubing, etc. Though, at the end, I came full circle back to Dtek's FLOWMASTER XT kit. Seemed to me that the kit was pretty well rounded for a WCer's first-time and quality components. So I ordered Dtek's kit...

Now here are some remaining questions that I have:

1) As you can see from my sig, ive got a p4 3.0ghz. My primary intent is to fricken boot the insanely loud cpu fan in my PC atm - its driving me nuts. However, I think soon here I would like OC my system to around 3.5ghz. With this generic intent to overclock my system, would you recommend I invest in a GPU wb and/or an NB wb (therefore implying that I may OC my vid card too)?

2) Tieing into question 1, will the dtek kit have ample components to just throw in a GPU waterblock and NB waterblock? i.e. is the 1250 eheim pump suitable for this? how about Dtek's heatercore?

3) I've briefly heard a description "push/pull" system sometimes refering to the radiator/heatercore. I think it sounded like i needed an additional 120mm fan. Could someone describe this in more depth?

4) Are there ANY benefits at all in using a Reservoir instead of a T-line? Or should I just totally ditch the T-Line?

5) If I do end up getting a GPU waterblock, any suggestions on waterblocks for a GeforceFx 5900 ultra? How about recommendations on a NB waterblock?

Anyways thats all the questions :p

Sorry for the long blurb of a post, but I really do appreciate any advice. thanks in advance!

-Glumy

Glumy said:

1) As you can see from my sig, ive got a p4 3.0ghz. My primary intent is to fricken boot the insanely loud cpu fan in my PC atm - its driving me nuts. However, I think soon here I would like OC my system to around 3.5ghz. With this generic intent to overclock my system, would you recommend I invest in a GPU wb and/or an NB wb (therefore implying that I may OC my vid card too)?
if you intend to overclock your videa card, and are willing to sacrafice some of the cpu cooling potential, then go for it.
Glumy said:

2) Tieing into question 1, will the dtek kit have ample components to just throw in a GPU waterblock and NB waterblock? i.e. is the 1250 eheim pump suitable for this? how about Dtek's heatercore?
yes, the pump should do fine and the heatercore will be adequete
Glumy said:

3) I've briefly heard a description "push/pull" system sometimes refering to the radiator/heatercore. I think it sounded like i needed an additional 120mm fan. Could someone describe this in more depth?
some people have a fan and shroud on both side of the radiator. it takes up a lot more space, for some small cooling improvements. i don't think it is necessary
Glumy said:

4) Are there ANY benefits at all in using a Reservoir instead of a T-line? Or should I just totally ditch the T-Line?
a res will make bleeding your system of air easier, but after the first day, it does nothing. personally i would say use a t-line, but there are lots of threads and a sticky on this issue
Glumy said:

5) If I do end up getting a GPU waterblock, any suggestions on waterblocks for a GeforceFx 5900 ultra? How about recommendations on a NB waterblock?
im not sure about good gpu blocks, but i don't think you'll be able to fit a northbridge block onto your motherboard. gigabyte used intels measurements for where the loops are usually, but instead put holes. those holes are bigger than standard northbrodge blocks allow, so you would have to find a different way to attatch it.

Last edited:
also, i have a mobo similar to yours. the fan on the northbridge was one of the loudest fans in my case. i replaced mine with zalman passive heatsink, but it gets warm to the touch. micrcool just released an adaptor for the intel mounting hooks, so you may be able to rig something up with those. i have also read about people using zip ties, but i think this may stress the mobo too much for my taste. there was another member who pm'd me saying that he could fit his new microcool northbridge heatsink on his gigabyte motherboard without anything new, but i am not sure if that is really the case since the holes on our motherboards are 3" apart while many of the high end northbridge coolers have a maximum of 2.41" spread. please feel free to ask any questions as i feel i have been rambling

Ack I see what you're saying. So the hole spread on the 8knxp is probably wider than 2.43 inches, which is the maximum spread on the Dangerden NB waterblocks. I also think you're right, the NB fan is extremely loud, though I haven't tried to distinguish which fan it is that is making that gawd-aweful wail. I'm also positive my geforceFX is loud as hell too. If you all heard my case right now you would laugh.

I just did a search on 8KNXP and someone recommended contacting Dangerden and requesting mounting gear for the NB.

Oh and rambling is ok here, please continue =)

Ok I emailed Dangerden about the NB waterblock on my board and their suggestion was to use thermal adhesive. Oh well. I might ask the same from Dtek and see what their suggestion is.

Anyone else have any suggestions on how to attach a northbridge waterblock on a Gigabyte motherboard that apparently has mounting holes on a 3" spread?

thanks

Glumy.
I mounted a pvc res to the outside-back of my case and put a small drain near the bottom to make draining the sys just as easy as filling...no need for unhooking anything inside the case. A res is also an easy place to put a thermometer to monitor water temp. They can however restrict flow, so people get around that by using oversized barbs on the res. Btw almost everything I have read in this forum argues against using a "bay res" which are those little boxes that fit in a 5.25in bay.

As for the dual fan setup, I put mine cross-case, so the fisrt fan blows in air from outside the case, and the other fan exhuasts air out of the other side of the case. This would require modding that great looking Xaser III which might spoil it.

Last edited:
Back