• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

External rig done(well almost)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

found404

This is my second wc'ed rig the first was internal but the case got too heavy so i decided to move the lot out and upgrade at the same time.
I say almost because it works but have yet to finish the aesthetic side of things, as in paint and things.

Rig is:
2 heater cores in parallel
cascade
dual bay res
clearflex 1/2" id
Quick connects
assorted hose clamps (zip ties, plastic ones, screwable ones)

runs in this order:
res ---> pump --->heatercores --->block --->res

Temps:
system: 21
core idle: 23
core load: 26 in prime 95
room temp: freezing, the central heating broken in the coldest days of this year.

PC is:
Abit AI7
P4 2.6C 1.6v core
1 gig Samsung ddr400

although is it still full load if prime 95 only seems to make my cpu work at 70% according to the cpu monitor in windows?

There's only one fan strapped to the heater cores with a home made cardboard shroud, i'm looking into making an alu one with aviation snips recommened in another thread.

Not clear on the fan speed but dead slow as my radeon 9800 makes more noise so i'm going to put a heat pipe on it. Don't fancy getting a gpu block as the zalman is cheaper.

I can turn off the fan on the heatercores and after a few hours idle is only 25C but i didn't leave it any longer so i don't know if there's a point where it levels out.

You may have noticed the 1.6v core i was messing around in the bios and forgot to put it back down, but makes little difference to the temps say a degree.

I tried OCing it but had some problems don't know if it's the chip or the board but something doesn't like being Oc'ed not the ram though as i ran 3:2 to make sure. This is very annoying because this is what the rig was primarily built for, all p4's do so well i doubt it's that but i could be very unlucky i guess, might try out another one. I'll keep playing with it, it could be the GAT or PAT or whatever it is, but any other suggestions?

Will post some pics when i figure out how to do it. I have a digi cam and web space but is it a case of ftp'ing it to the host and then just putting the url and tagging the image name on the end?
Any help will be appreciated.

Tell me what you think.
Later

I worked it out stupid me can't type for...... anyway updated with pics.

first of all the hanging pump
hangingpump2.JPG

leak testing:
leaktest2.JPG

Can you spot the water? thats just spillage but i did have leaks around the pump inlet and around the barbs on my cascade!!!!!
but i soon saw to that............nothing like sealant.

sealed_block.JPG

sealed_pump.JPG

Some more temps i guess external setups can make the cpu cooler than system temps:

temps.bmp

Later

Oh yeah my cardboard shroud how could i forget, real ghetto:

shroud&fan.JPG

later

edit: why doesn't the image show it this time i did the same as before? weird

oh my, be carful with bay res! The reason you got leaks around inlet is b/c you took out stock barb that had o ring , good setup!

SK8 said:
oh my, be carful with bay res! The reason you got leaks around inlet is b/c you took out stock barb that had o ring , good setup!

Yeah i know, i used loads of teflon tape and thought it'd be ok but it wasn't enough, the old inlet is kinda broken.
Fingers crossed on the bayres i heard about cracks to but they look so cool.

Later

Not sure about flow rate i have no way to measure it but i can clearly see it moving in to the res from the block so i'd guess flow rate is good.

later

Edit: As for dye not sure yet maybe some uv blue to go with the antifreeze. But don't know if there's point since most of the setup is out side my pc anyway.

Last edited:
How much? got a link i'm in the uk so that might be a prob but i've seen some dye that doesn't cost too much i might look in to it.

But first i need to paint the shell for my box and do some mods to it.

i payed $4 usd for it , you have to let it run through water for a while tho , it likes to seperate from water but i dunno if it really does b/c i just put zerex in today :)

Back