• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new thermochill rads: 2x80mm & 2x92mm

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pauldenton

spotted these today at over-clock UK (who iirc are connected to thermochill?)

ThermoChill HE80.2 high performance Heat Exchanger.

Copper / brass construction with turn coat shrouds. 2x80mm Each Side.

# 3/8"BSPT inserts to allow the radiator to be used with any existing bore setup. e.g. 3/8"OD & ID, 1/2"OD & ID etc. Appropriate fittings available further down this page.
# Unique dual fan shroud gives total air seal even between the fans!!, no loss air as with other designs.
# Pre-punched shroud holes for perfect hole alignment!
# Radiator can run up to 4 x 80mm fans in push / pull config or one side of shroud can be used for mounting.
# 8mm shroud standoff to minimise dead zone.
# Unique silver soldered bleed inserts for bleeding off collected air & maintaining performance.
# Radiatior ships with single side fan screws & a spare bleed washer.

Offers superior performance and useability over other brand 80mm radiators due to interchangeable barbs and larger plenumb chambers...

ThermoChill HE92.2 high performance Heat Exchanger.

Copper / brass construction with turn coat shrouds. 2x92mm Fans per side

# 3/8"BSPT inserts to allow the radiator to be used with any existing bore setup. e.g. 3/8"OD & ID, 1/2"OD & ID etc. Appropriate fittings available further down this page
# Unique dual fan shroud gives total air seal even between the fans!!, no loss air as with other designs.
# Pre-punched shroud holes for perfect hole alignment!
# Radiator can run up to 4 x 92mm fans in push / pull config or one side of shroud can be used for mounting.
# 13mm shroud standoff to minimise dead zone.
# Unique silver soldered bleed inserts for bleeding off collected air & maintaining performance.
# Radiatior ships with single side fan screws & a spare bleed washer.

The additional core depth & shroud stand off of the HE92.2 rivals the performance of many 120mm radiators!

Thermochill's own site seems to be down atm.

Heater core owns all, except the 120.3, for sure. BillA didn't test the 120.3, but, seeing as the 120.2 only dissipated 205 watts, of its rated 400, I'm guessing the 120.3 would be around 280 or 290 watts, (rated 550) and the procore gets 290W...

AngryAlpaca said:
Heater core owns all, except the 120.3, for sure. BillA didn't test the 120.3, but, seeing as the 120.2 only dissipated 205 watts, of its rated 400, I'm guessing the 120.3 would be around 280 or 290 watts, (rated 550) and the procore gets 290W...

actually the "rated 400" is lifted directly from bill's review
http://www.overclockers.com/articles778/index05.asp

Oh. My bad. :embarasse I don't read the articles, I just look at the graphs. However, based on the same test conditions, the 120.2 emits 205W, and the heater core emits 290W, and that makes the heater core better than the 120.3... Woah!

AngryAlpaca said:
Oh. My bad. :embarasse I don't read the articles, I just look at the graphs. However, based on the same test conditions, the 120.2 emits 205W, and the heater core emits 290W, and that makes the heater core better than the 120.3... Woah!

interesting - got a link to the heatercore test? - i had a quick scan on overclockers.com and couldn't see one...

Hmm... That's odd... http://www.overclockers.com/articles481/index.asp That's the radiator article, but that's done with a 10 degree coolant/air differential, which makes the thermochills far superior, but that's the opposite of everything I've ever heard about heater cores versus the other kinds... I see no reason why a thermochill would outdo a heater core... Or I missed something (Again)

AngryAlpaca said:
Hmm... That's odd... http://www.overclockers.com/articles481/index.asp That's the radiator article, but that's done with a 10 degree coolant/air differential, which makes the thermochills far superior, but that's the opposite of everything I've ever heard about heater cores versus the other kinds... I see no reason why a thermochill would outdo a heater core... Or I missed something (Again)

cheers - had a quick look and saved the gifs so i can try & convert the units...

oveverclockers v slow atm - suspect that abysmal G5 mod is the cause :(

looking at that review (i assume the "big momma" is the relevant one..)
and billa's thermochill review
and converting the measurements it's apparant that the yellow (37.4Pa) line here (at 5C differential):
Thermo12.gif

corresponds to the pink (0.15 in H2O) line here (at 10C differential).
12big20momma.gif

1 Btu/hr = 0.2931 Watts/hr 1(US)gpm= 3.79 litres/min

Bill rates (at 1gpm, 10C differential) the 120.1/2/3 at 250/400/550 watts (per hr)

the "big momma" under the same flow & temp gives 1500 Btu/hr i.e. 440 Watts - 10% more than a 120.2.

however:
comparing this
dropvcool.gif

and this (the 5/8" barbs are 1/2" ID)
Thermo17.gif

by my calculations 1 psi = 0.7M H2O - which would make the Thermochills a lot less resistant than the heatercore...

Okay, so I must've done the calculations wrong. Less resistant?! 1mH2O = 1.422PSI And I can't see the Big Momma (A procore) pics.

AngryAlpaca said:
Okay, so I must've done the calculations wrong. Less resistant?! 1mH2O = 1.422PSI And I can't see the Big Momma (A procore) pics.
do you mean this pic?
finrad.jpg

look like small barbs on it so maybe that's part of the reason for it being more resistant...

hmm - it's description in the review is:
Rad F - OCWC PN: Big Momma

* Opening (Area): 6 x 6 in. = (36 sq.in.)
* Thickness (Volume): 2 in. thick = (72 cu.in.)
* Internal capacity (liquid volume): 220 ml
* Connections: barbed 3/8 in. hose connections
* Tube: 13 full thickness corrugated brass "plates"
* Fins: soldered slit folded copper fins, 12 per in.
* Outside Dimensions: 7 3/8 (w/connections) x 6 x 3 in. (w/connections)
(my bold)

Back