• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water additive question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I think some might have. It would probably help, but I'm not sure if it's corrosive or not. Oxides and whatnot can be corrosive, but I'm no expert.

If you need something to kill bugs, Methyl Alcohol (Methanol) is a good choice.

Thanks Johan for the input. Man i got to tell you, this danner Mag3 pump is so quiet. I actually thought the darn pump went out on me, but its still going nice and quiet!

I just add a tablespoon or so in my setup of Betadine. It adds a little bit of color but it's okay if you're also adding UV dye.

Yeah, batadine should do the trick too. As long as it's something in small amounts, and it doesn't contain any oxides, etc. it should be alright.

The nice thing about Methanol is that it has a lower viscosity than water, so it's easier to pump. It also has a pretty good heat capacity (much better than antifreeze, and better than any other kind of alcohol - not quite as good as water) so it won't hurt performance. It's a good additive if you're using antifreeze as well and want to thin the mixture out a little. Also great for chiller environments due to its low freezing point.

Back