• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problems mounting dtek whitewater p4

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zip22

i got a new motherboard today and decided to install my whitewater the correct way. on the rig in my sig, i had it installed somewhat incorrectly. i had the short screws going through the mounting plate, through a nut, through the mobo, then through another nut. my temps weren't horrible, but not great by any means. 30C idle 40C load.

so i decided to do it the way in the guide in the stickies. here, the short screws go through the plate, through a washer, through the mobo, then through a nut. when i did this on the new motherboard, however, it didn't work. the mounting plate hits at least 2 large square rectangle things with 3 wires and the screws hit some of the tiny rectangle things on the mother board. i looked at the hight of the different mounting things and the nuts are appx 2x as tall as the washers. when i looked at the washer next to the large screw head sticking out a little from the mounting plate, the washer is just as tall, or even a little shorter than the screw head that sticks out, meaning that the screw head would contact the mobo even if it was perfectly flat. so i was wondering if i have a crappy mounting plate and hardware because the long screws are phillipshead with a triangular head from the side(metal/machine screws i think they're called). they are screwed in as tight as they can be and they still stick out so they are as tall as 1 washer. is there anything i can do? how does everyone else have theirs mounted? has anyone seen this problem before? i also tried installing it correctly on my gigabyte board again and i have the same problem, so i don't think its just the mobo. should i contact dtek?

zip2two-untitled.jpg

this is what is happening if i use the washer on the asus. on the gigabyte, there is no large balck thing in the way, but the screw still contacts teh board because i can't get it in far enough. with the nut, my temps are worse, but i don't crush anything on the mobo. i realise that the larger black thing (mosfet) isn't really fixable, but what should i do? do i have to get a rbx?

Last edited:
i got a reply from dtek and they seem more than willing to help. the guy suggested i use electrical tape on the heads of the screws which i am going to try later thisafternoon. i think to get the plate to fit on the asus, i am going to have to cut a small piece of the block out. to do that, i am going to have to wait till next weekend though. i still have the problem with the screws, and any suggestions are welcome

i think i jsut cracked my gigabyte. see my thread in the emergency section. if i can't get this mounting plate to work, im going to buy the rbx. i can't believe no one has had this problem before, i am certain i am installing everything correctly.

if no one has any suggestions, then i guess i'll have to get teh rbx

Back