• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about rad setup and Number of fans and what type?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vengance_01

Ok I have my case pretty much ready to fit my rad. I am asking should I go for a push pull setup, or just a pull setup. Here is a few pictures. And should I try for two 120mm or 2 92mm fans?

SV400022.JPG

SV400021.JPG

SV400020.JPG

SV400019.JPG

2 120's would be the best bet - best to make yourself a shroud to mount them in....

push pull would be better (even if you just take the opportunity to run the fans at lower voltage...)

Ok. Would cheap 120mm fans work, snice I will be going with a push pull. Like SVC blue lead fans for about 5$?

lclark2074 said:
Two on side will give you better air flow than push me pull me. Look at size of heater core first! of corse four will be even better.
B/C I was thinking of doing push pull with 4 all inside.

It looks like you would have enough room, if you don't mind it being a little tight in there. I have a similar heatercore, about the same dimensions, but single pass. I put 4 120x120x38mm fans in a push pull config. on my HC, with 2 one inch thick shrouds. The whole setup is about 8 inches deep. Here's a link to my setup if you want to take a look.

http://www.calpoly.edu/~rtiu

It certainly does take a lot of space, but its very nice. BTW i spoke with Cathar and he tells me it would be more ideal to have the fan shrouds about 1.5 inches deep. So if you got the room, go for it!

So I have a double pass HC? Whats the difference, and how will effect my preformace. And How did you make the fan shrouds? I know I have the room, HD will be mounted in 5 1/2 bay. Only have 1 CD-ROM and 1 HD.

Yeah, your's is a dual pass, which is perfectly fine. Single pass is just less restrictive. If you're building a setup with a restrictive element in it already, for example a RBX, WhiteWater, or Cascade water block, then the single pass radiator isn't going to make a difference. But if you have a freer flowing system, like with a Slit edge water block, then it will make a difference. I can't really pull any numbers out for you to compare. Though keep in mind you have a great HC as it is, so don't worry about it. ;)

They way i made a fan shroud was to measure out the dimensions you want in paper, then trace the picture out onto a sheet of sheet metal. You could use aluminum which is much more expensive, but easier to bend. you then use a dremmel [not recommended] or something like a jig saw to cut it out. Then you go ahead and make the bends. I made the bends by hammering it against a 2x4, but there are much more elegants ways of going about it. I recently saw a great shroud here in the forums that was recently posted, so you might wanna look for that.

good luck!

Back