• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for a new heater core/radiator

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

calinmatney

My system is:
P4 - 3.0GHz, NB, and MSI nVidia 5900 nu all cooled by:
Danger Den Blocks, 3/8" tubing and a Dtek 120mm rad cooled by one 120mm fan pulling.

My cpu runs at an average of 40C reg and 50C under load.

I really want to start overclocking as thats half of the reason I put this system together, but to do that I REALLY need to decrease temps, so:

I'm looking for a REALLY good heater core or radiator to put in my case (area marked by red circles)
hereorhere.jpg

Thanks for any coments
CTM

To start out you could shroud that DTEK heatercore, add a second 120mm pulling fan, and up your tubing to 1/2" ID. The Shroud alone should make a big difference :)

Past that, a Chevvy replacing what you know use may suit your needs, or a smaller (A BIX perhaps?) added to circuit in the case ceiling.

Also, what kind of pump is that? It may not be powerful enough to provide good flow through your rather large water circuit - which wouldn't be helped at all by the tiny tubing you're using (and you're using lots of it too... lots of restiction!).

I can't remember the brand at the moment and I threw away the box but I do know that it pumps 250 GPH and that the water runs through all that tubing pretty well.

I thought about going to 1/2" but how exactly would I go from 3/8" barbs on my blocks to 1/2" tubing? and would it really help all that much?

aside from that, my friend and I are going to the junkyard tomarrow to look for heater cores so I'll check out the ones you mensioned.

Thanks again

cool beans, I'll try that before the new heater core, but um, back to my earlier question:
How does one go from 3/8" barbs to 1/2" tubing? I'm guessing it's going to be the pain in the @#$ method of taking the current barbs off the blocks then putting new ones and resealing them.

Am I correct or is there an easier method?

calinmatney said:
Am I correct or is there an easier method?

not really, unless you dont mind using 3/8 to 1/2 adapter. You could also consider running your gpu and nb block in parallel, that would reduce the restriction alot and that way you could keep your 3/8 tubing (for that part anyway, might still want to change it for pump/rad/res).

A method that I used on my 3/8 radiator barbs was to put a piece of 3/8 ID 1/2 OD tube on the barb (just long enought to cover the length of the barb) then slide the 1/2 ID tube over that and clamp it good. It was suggested by my dad who has done this many times before in many different types of machinery, and has so far worked fine for me.

kurinto said:
A method that I used on my 3/8 radiator barbs was to put a piece of 3/8 ID 1/2 OD tube on the barb (just long enought to cover the length of the barb) then slide the 1/2 ID tube over that and clamp it good. It was suggested by my dad who has done this many times before in many different types of machinery, and has so far worked fine for me.

That will help some but you are still bottle necked at the fittings. The best solution interims of restriction are to change out the fitting with the tubing. It's like putting a faster CPU in rig with slow memory. You'll see some improvement but.......

First thing you want to do is remove that drive bay and place HD in one of the 5.25 bays. Drill out the rivets.

Here is my case. http://images10.newegg.com/ProductImageCompressAll125/11-129-119-11.jpg

http://images10.newegg.com/productimage/11-129-119-04.JPG

Then you'll have plenty of room for a massive radiator like the 2-223 (70 Oldsmobile TORONADO/OLDSMOBILE 88) since I've measured 7" W and 12-5/8" tall in the area below.

the two 80mm fans in back of this case combined with PS fan pulling air though this case will allow enough air flow over rad. Still build a plastic shrowd for radiator to the front case frame..or Just butt it against the frame. Also drill about 70 more holes.

Once I settle on a pump I'll post pictures..

Last edited:
Back