• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

About to build first watercooling system: What block?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nick Burns

Your company's computer guy
I am thinking right now about an Eheim 1250, the dual heatercore from DangerDen, and 4 evercool 120mm Aluminum fans. I want to cool a 9800XT, 2500+(unlocked), and my northbridge. I am going to do an external set up. I need some reccomendations for the best possible performance with these parts for my three waterblocks. I want the GPU and Chipset coolers to be made to cool the chipset and GPU for mounting convenience. I still do not know what size of tubing to use. I don't know the advantages and disadvantages to each.

You should be using 1/2" ID clearflex. Basically, larger tubing is less restrictive as far as flowrates go, but difficult to work with in a closed system. Your other alternative is 3/8" ID, which is very nice to work with, but is a lot more restrictive than 1/2" ID. So...1/2" ID is a great balance.

One of the best waterblocks currently available is DTek's White Water. A good GPU block is the Danger Den Maze 4. DTek's chipset cooler looks to be a nice option as well.

I just had a change of heart in the radiator. Instead of the double heatercore, I am thinking about this: http://dangerden.com/mall/Radiators/thermochill.asp
The one I am thinking about is the one with triple length, or is that going to hurt my system more than it helps? It seems more convenient that the double heatercore because it already has a double fan shround on it, and it is nice and painted. I will go with 1/2" tubing. How much tubing will be needed? radiator and pump will be about 1 foot apart and both will need about 1-2 feet to get into the case. I also want one hose coming off of the whitewater to go to chipset and hte other to GPU and then have the "Y" tube to bring them back together, is this smart or dumb? I have also decided on the WhiteWater by the way.

This T-line guide might be helpful. IMO both are easy to manage. A res can fill/bleed much faster but can take up a lot of room. The first page of the sticky alone has a lot of important info including advantages and disadvantages of both methods.

as for a radiator i would go with a heatercore b/c it will match the performance of that $100+ thermochill and be alot cheaper.

Back