• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water cool the ram on my video card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ailijic1985

Registered
I have a 9700 pro and want to get a really good to max overclock out of it. I have read about the voltage mods and the overclocking programs. I also read that the RAM is very sensitive to heat and that when people overclock their cards they just setup RAM sinks and a fan. I would like to go a step further and water cool the ram with a water chiller.

I am looking for links or threads where people have made watercooling blocks for their ram so that I might get some ideas on how to make my own.

Mostly (if not completely) useless. People have tried pelting, and even using phase change systems on the memory. They got another 3-4mhz out of it usually, if that even. It's just not worth the hassle.

If you still want to do it though, you'd have to build your own cooler. Therre are no pre-made waterblocks for video card memory.

Here is what it takes to watercool your RAM...it is quite a project...

http://www.zerofanzone.co.uk/projects.asp?request=r300wc

His overclock, even with all that work, was not very impressive. The workmanship is outstanding, but watercooling the RAM does very little. The samsung ram only dissipates a max of 3.3watts (at 350mhz), ramsinks are enough to cool that...

Last edited:
any way to post 3dmark03 scores in here? I have the complet test of how my 9600 pro did from stock to max..even point out where the ram-sinks were added...would show a very nominal gain from ramsinks..they do get quite warm and I have drooled over bladerunners liquid system.....god thats just wicked awesome!

sixshot666 said:

That's great; except for 2 things...
1) Aluminum...even anodized it isn't great to mix with copper. And it doesn't cool as well.

2) Doesn't cool RAM on the back of the card. What good is cooling the front RAM and not the back? They have to run at the same speed.

i was planing on cooling my RAM on my 9800 until i found it didn't run
hot at all (hynix). my plan was to lap some copper pennies and silver
solder some half inch copper pipe to them. then apply them to the RAM
by using arctic thermal epoxy. i think it would work pretty well, and wouldn't
be restrictive.

rich

I agree watercooling the ram makes little difference overclocking if you are not volt modding. My project was NOT about overclocking the ram, though I did find some other things out later on with the 9700 that are discussed in more detail HERE until I write it up for the site:-

Also as mentioned in the 9700 watercooling article the 9700 pro, (& 9800 Pro), would not run a 3D app in my fanless system in stock format, due to excessive ram heat, they would either lock up or artifact.

Raider84 said:
where are you planning on getting pennies that old? it might be easier to just buy some copper stock.

pre-1982 pennies aren't that hard to come by.

BladeRunner,

the heat spreader plate is absent on the 9800. although a couple of chips
are passively cooled via mini heatsinks. i should have taken some pics
before i installed it :-/. the one closer to the VGA connector gets pretty hot
and would probably benefit from some improved cooling. thanks for
pointing that out. [off topic]BTW, i love the work you do with copper :clap:.
do you use a CNC machine? [/off topic]

rich

The link I posted was mainly to outline how ram water-cooling can be beneficial, In a fanless PC or with vmods for instance. I haven't volt modded the 9800 pro yet, I planned to but its not really my goal with the full card cooling.

It does seem odd that some people report cool running ram chips with both 9700 & 9800 pro, where others, (myself included), have ram that runs at skin blistering temps. I guess the quality and make of card / ram varies a lot. I must admit I checked the small sink on the 9800 pro and it doesn't appear to get hot at least nowhere near as hot as the plate on the 9700 pro. Of course this might change with a v mod........ (both my ATI cards are Connect 3D branded).

No CNC yet.......... but soon hopeful :)

Bladerunner, the different ramchips run at different temps.

Infineon chips run REALLY hot. Samsungs are somewhere in the middle, and Hynix chips tend to run cool.

Back