• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

*My* Flow Comparison between a Thermochill 120.3 and Caprice Heatercore

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SemiCycle

My new toys keep coming in, so I decided to do "VERY SIMPLE" test on flow rates last night between my old Caprice Heatercore and my new Thermochill 120.3. I'm not BillA or Cather, so this test should NOT be taken to seriously.

Testing Gear:

(2) 2 foot long pieces of 1/2" ID clearflex tubing
Caprice heatercore
Thermochill 120.3 Radiator
Ehiem 1250

There were 3 runs each of the following 3 tests:

1) Ehiem submerged in a sink of water with a 2' piece of tubing running into a one gallon millk container.
2) Ehiem submerged in a sink of water with a 2' piece of tubing running into the Thermochill Radiator then a 2' piece of tubing running to the milk container.
3) Ehiem submerged in a sink of water with a 2' piece of tubing running into the Caprice Heatercore then a 2' piece of tubing running to the milk container.

I placed each heatercore on its back with the barbs facing upwards to the ceiling. I then filled each heater core up completely with water before running each test. Here are my results in the number of seconds it took to fill a one gallon container to within 1/2" of the top of the container

Ehiem 1250 only
---------------------
Run 1 = 16 seconds
Run 2 = 15 seconds
Run 3 = 16 seconds

Ehiem 1250 and Thermochill 120.3
------------------------------------
Run 1 = 24 seconds
Run 2 = 25 seconds
Run 3 = 25 seconds

Ehiem 1250 and Caprice Heatercore
----------------------------------------------
Run 1 = 24 seconds
Run 2 = 23 seconds
Run 3 = 24 seconds

Not bad. I thought the Caprice heater core would have had a much more commanding lead on the Thermochill then it did.

Some pictures:
thermochill120-3-1.jpg

thermochill120-3-2.jpg

old picture
hcore2.jpg

old picture
shroud2.jpg

36.jpg

Hey, those tests look pretty good, I can see how it wouldnt be a little different but not much. I wonder what it woudl be like if you had a single pass core.

Jon

SK8 said:
that thermochill is a GIANT! hows the performance between them...?

No, I don't have cooling performance numbers because I haven't hooked up everthing in the new case yet. I'll post tempeture udpates and more pictures when the system is complete.

"I thought the Caprice heater core would have had a much more commanding lead on the Thermochill then it did."

and why so ?

this test illustrates the superiority of testing over "thinking";
not knocking your work SemiCycle,
you have confirmed that things may not be as they 'seem' to be

words are cheap and whiskey costs money
Geek - that info is on procooling

be cool

I guess I stated that because I've seen it said so many times that heatercores have less flow resistance then many of the manufactured PC radiators.

Thanks for your comments Bill.

SemiCycle said:

Not bad. I thought the Caprice heater core would have had a much more commanding lead on the Thermochill then it did.

Now it's a matter of how much air you can pass through each one. How you measure that, I have no clue but it would be interesting. Thermochill is suppose to be pretty good performer.

Nice pictures:)

Couple q's

1. Why would you replace what seems to be a perfit fit radiator with one that won't fit anywhere in that case and that costs 5x?

2. What year caprice? IE FEDCO #?

3. Why did you choose Spri@l over tc-4?

-That is my old case. I'm migrating to a Lian Li PC-70
-The Spiral is my old block. I'm currently using a Morphling MK-4 waterblock
-I know the Thermochill costs a ton, but I wanted something that would integrate into my new case a little better. Could I have modded the caprice to mount to the top of the case? Yes. But I didn't want to. I've also always wanted to use one of these radiators anyway.

Below is a picture of the Caprice I used. I think it is 1970 or something. You can see my current waterblock in my avatar, but I'll add another for ya.

hcore4.jpg

mk4-2.jpg

Very nice work...

I'm a few bucks short of buying the Thermochill 120.3 from DangerDen as soon as it gets back in stock to start off my watercooling config. By the way, I have the pc-70 too, so if you want to swap ideas, AIM me (fyberwire), or PM me or e-mail. Whatever you want.

Why the hell is Thermochill so overpriced? It seems to me that everybody would just buy the Caprice core instead of buying a Thermochill 120.3 :)

As just pointed out in another thread, the ThermoChill rad is UK Manufactured, and the exchange rate right now is 1.8, so anything bought from the UK for resale in the US is gonna cost a fortune in comparison to bought in the UK resale in the UK, bought in the US resale in the US.

The world's economy is not shaped for british products to sell en-mass to an american market... it's all the opposite way round... it's geared for everyone in the world to sell to the UK cos we're such a big-*** bunch of consumer oriented idiots!!

Yep they're big, but fit perfectly in the top of Chieftec/Antec/LianLi full tower cases...

DSC00117.jpg

DSC00024.jpg

The Thermochill site is back up now by the way.... it's been down fer quite some time...

Damn, that's really clean. I think I might do that to my PlusView1000AMG when I get everything. Add 3 120mm blue LED fans. :D

Back