• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Radiator questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nick Burns

Your company's computer guy
1) I am thinking about the Chevette core right now, but will it keep my CPU, GPU, and northbridge cool, or do I need the caprice to keep it cool?
2) I keep hearing about people using blowers instead of fans. Where can I find them online? Are they queiter with more cfm?
Thanks in advance.

1) Chevette core will just fine. I'm cooling a CPU, GPU and NB and does just fine at 6 - 7C above my air temp and 2C more for load. Caprice will probably get you a few degrees lower.

2) never used a blower so i can't say with any experience. Generally their quiter with more cfm. Not sure of air pressure with a blower. 38mm thick fans will give more cfm and air pressure with less noise. You only need one 38mm fan. I would use 2 25mm thick fans in a push/pull setup. 25mm thick fans are easier to come buy.

I have two evercool 120mm aluminum fans that I was planning on using, but then I see people swearing by their blowers nowadays.

Nick Burns said:
I have two evercool 120mm aluminum fans that I was planning on using, but then I see people swearing by their blowers nowadays.

It seems a few guys are using blowers but honestly you will good preformance from a set of good fans and shrouding.

I was measuring and I could fit the caprice in the case but I have to buy some hard drive mounts for 5.25" bays. I was pricing them and they are too much money for the ones I want. I would also have to give up having a floppy disk drive. So since this is my first water cooling set up, I will sacrifice water cooling my NB and the caprice and probably switch the White Water to an RBX so that I can save a few bucks and get everything from DangerDen. Should I at least get some active cooling on my North Bridge? I have an 8rda3+ rev 1 so it has passive. I bet that is holding back my fsb overclock, although it doesn't seem to get hot at all.

You'll be ok with a shrouded chevette core. I cool two CPUs and a GPU-see sig and my system stays nice and cool even when I am doing CAD work.

I am still tossed up in the air about the cooling the Northbridge though, is it really worth $40 just for the northbridge? Would a nice big heatsink on the Northbridge do a job good enough to keep up with my cooling specs?

Good cooling on the NB can help your overclock. I've cooled the NB on every rig eccept my workstation. Go for it.

Nick Burns said:
I am still tossed up in the air about the cooling the Northbridge though, is it really worth $40 just for the northbridge? Would a nice big heatsink on the Northbridge do a job good enough to keep up with my cooling specs?

It's not like you really need to but it will cool alot better than a HSF. Once you start pushing the FSB it'll get pretty warm. If your running more voltage to the NB then I would seriously water cool it. I don't know what your board is like but everyone I'v used the NB edges were slightly higher than the middle. So I lapped it flat and that did the trick. I watercool mine also. Maybe overkill and I didn't see any performance gain from it. I think I chose to water cool mine just because I could. lol

Back