• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

need info about the cascade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The cascade uses jet impingment to cool a specific area, right over the CPU's core. While this makes it great for CPU cooling, it performs poorly as a peltier/TEC block.

It was designed by Cathar with the assistance of many users across manyforums I believe.

The specifics of either, however, I am completely unsure of.

You can do a bit of reading here:

http://forums.procooling.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=8513

A bit of a layman's explanation of the operation of the Cascade.

OperativeSix said:
The cascade uses jet impingment to cool a specific area, right over the CPU's core. While this makes it great for CPU cooling, it performs poorly as a peltier/TEC block.

It was designed by Cathar with the assistance of many users across manyforums I believe.

The specifics of either, however, I am completely unsure of.

The design can be expanded to work just as well for a TEC, and indeed I have done so. Sorry, no pictures to show yet - still working on the final implementation.

I prefer the word "inspired". No one really assisted me with the Cascade with its design being fairly private until I revealed the final form. Its design was inspired by the White Water work I did, Volenti's direct-die multi-jet impingement work, Jaydee116's multi-jet block work that he gave up on, and a fledgling idea by Bigben2K.

Sorry cathar, should have worded it as "The cascade itself does not work well as a TEC block". I'd imagine jet-impingement would work well for any purpose, but the cascade is a rather specific block--it cools CPU's, not TEC's :p .

As a side note...any words on the GPU version of the cascade? My GFFX5900 is waiting for something better than stock cooling :D .

OperativeSix said:
As a side note...any words on the GPU version of the cascade? My GFFX5900 is waiting for something better than stock cooling :D .

That's what the TEC block is. A joint TEC/GPU block. It's a little tricky given the space limitations of a GPU format, which at best gives 48x50mm to play with, to route the inlet, jets, outlet, O-rings, and clamping screws all into that space. Given a different top it can double (triple?) as a NB block, or even as a CPU block in its own right.

As soon as I get some sane-time from this new baby I'll put some energy towards it.

Cathar said:
As soon as I get some sane-time from this new baby I'll put some energy towards it.
I will come babysit for a week or so, is that enought time?

[hold sign]will teach sailing for waterblocks[/end sign holding]

9mmCensor said:

I will come babysit for a week or so, is that enought time?

[hold sign]will teach sailing for waterblocks[/end sign holding]

LOL - could be a long flight!

Already know how to sail (small boats), ski (water & snow), ride motorbikes (fast), rock climb, etc.

Hmmm - could you teach me how to fly a plane?

Cathar said:

LOL - could be a long flight!
Its worth it. (Toronto to Sydney is long)

Cathar said:

Already know how to sail (small boats), ski (water & snow), ride motorbikes (fast), rock climb, etc.

Hmmm - could you teach me how to fly a plane?

Damn, you. I can give you a certification that proves you know how to sail. Comes handy when your drinking with the buddies and you say, "I gots mad sailing skills", and they say, "Yeah right, mate. No, programmer, physists, can sail." Then you bust out the peice of paper, with the official seal and all. No? Can you play hockey? I could teach that.
*flips sign over*
*writes will trade maple surup and bever pelts for waterblocks*

You know too much. I could teach you to fly a plane, but from my experiance with Flight Sims, it would be a one way trip, resulting in a crater.

Toronto to Melbourne is even longer. ;) Figure on about 20hrs of flying, not including a layover in Los Angeles. Melbourne is about 1hr further than Sydney.

Problem is, when you got here you'd probably feel like you never left. Apparantly Toronto and Melbourne are "sister cities", meaning two cities in different nations that are most alike.

Sure, come teach/certify me to sail then. We'll head out on the Port Phillip Bay that Melbourne wraps around. It's not quite Lake Ontario in size, but at about 1500 sq. miles it fits just a few boats. ;)

9mmCensor said:
You know too much. I could teach you to fly a plane, but from my experiance with Flight Sims, it would be a one way trip, resulting in a crater.

Dang you 9mm, too many more quotes and I'll have to remove my o/c :p

Something everyone neglected to mention to The Big One (if I'm still up to date), Cathar is not currently making any Cascade blocks; he's taking a nice, long vacation that I hope he is enjoying. If you don't want to wait for him to get off of vacation, you could settle for the White-Water, which is marginally less....good, but still the second best block around.

Back