• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would like your opinions.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dreadlord79

I have a friend who is building a new system since he is going Intel, I'm unsure as to what to recommend. He is either going with a Asus P4P 800 Deluxe with the 865 chipset or the Gigabyte GA-8KNXP with the 875 chipset. I have heard that in some cases, the 865 is better. He is planning on buying it no later than Friday of this week and I would like to get everyones opinion on it. I will also do some research when I have the time (school) but knew that I would great some great thoughts here first.

P.S.~ He is not going to overclock it.

If he is looking for a non-overclocking board, an Intel mainboard is also a good choice:

D865PERL - $89.00 for Retail box at zipzoomfly. You'll get 3 years warranty for retail box. i865PE chipset, onboard audio, No LAN, No SATA RAID.

D875PBZLK - $137.00 for retail boz at newegg. i875P chipset which gives you PAT - Performance Acceleration Technology (= slightly better memory performance vs i865PE chipset), No onboard AUDIO, comes with Gigabit LAN, SATA RAID (thru ICH5R).

Actually the 875P chipset is better (faster meemory performance thru PAT) than the 865PE chipset. Also the 875P does not support 400 MHz FSB CPUs (in case your friend is planning to buy an older CPU with 400 MHz FSB).

The Gigabyte GA-8KNXP has a lot more features but price is also higher. Does your friend need those extra features?

Z_oc said:

D865PERL - $89.00 for Retail box at zipzoomfly. You'll get 3 years warranty for retail box. i865PE chipset, onboard audio, No LAN, No SATA RAID.

I have the D865PERL right now, i'm typing on it. It has onboard audio, onboard LAN, and SATA RAID. So i dont know which model board you were looking at, but it aint the D865PERL.

The D865PERL is overall a good board, its rock solid stable. And performs well when compared against other boards based on the same chipset. The onboard audio is a problem though, the sound quality is rather horrendous.

Here's the basic specifications of the board.

http://www.intel.com/design/motherbd/rl/index.htm?iid=ipp_desk+boards_d865perl&

This link also provides a nice zoomable 3d view of the board.

Back