• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Squirrel cage blower placement inside rad box

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Xymurgy

For Springtime, I'm making a rad box for my pump and HCs. My goals are to have the box look good and be silent. So I have two options.

Option one is to use two or three 12v'd Rotron Patriots. Pretty simple. Option two is to use one squirrel cage, which is also apparently silent. However, I'd want it inside the box for aesthetic reasons.

So the question is if I can use a squirrel cage inside a box with fairly restrictive air flow. My HC's are 2" thick, so it requires a bit of CFM to get air through. I'm not familiar with squirrel cages, so I'm not sure if they're an option for my setup. My HC dimensions are 10.5" x 5.5" or something (they're big).

Attachments

• blower.jpg
    blower.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 547
Have you heard a patriot before? 3 patriots would probably deafen any dog in the neighborhood. You mentioned 12v'ing' one, meaning... you would drop a 24v to a 12v? That would obviously cut the noise down a lot, but then you aren't getting any benefit from using a powerful fan such as the patriot.

You would likely get a bit of airflow if you used that sort of setup, but it would be a waste of a blower IMO. They are *not* designed to work like that... I've seen an AC power supply that employed blowers like this in the control-board area, not over the sinks... they were mainly designed for quiet circulation, not necessarily 'aimed' airflow like you'd want for a heatercore. You would likely see the best performance employing two blowers over two seperate heatercores.

That's what I was thinking. Blowers would seem to work better... well, blowing. My instinct told me that using a blower as an exhaust woulnd't be optimal. Just couldn't visualize it.

I ran into this thread a while ago, which spawned the idea for option #1.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=242967

Seems like a solid idea to me. If they do happen to be louder than a whisper, I'll save 'em for my next winter-catcher. Although you say 3 would deafen any dog. The MPJA site says they're 52dB.

Hmmm...

They are plastic blades so that's actually probably true. Still, at 12v you'd not hear a thing.

I'm using an EBM D1G133 700cfm 48vdc blower over two caprice cores in series. At 48v, it's loud enough, but it can run quite happily at a mere 30volts... and still move more air than any Boeing. You can buy this fan for only $10 off Ebay, "EBM Dual inlet" is all you need to search for =p. Probably the same guy I bought mine from, good guy.

MOST 6.75 axial fans (papst, rotron, nidec) are metal bladed, weigh a ton and are louder than hell. I just fired up a patriot to make sure I'm not crazy and it *is* pretty loud... although definitely quieter than most of the other 6.75s.

13458 FN: THIS PART IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE

From that link you posted. I got 2 of them about a month and a half ago, then the link was dead. :(

These Comair Majors are pretty loud, I bet in a box they would be much quieter though. Still, at $15 or so, they are TOTALLY worth it for air movement that they can do!

Back