• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How many CPUs can a caprice handle?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nick Burns

Your company's computer guy
I am looking to possibly build a folding farm. The problem I have is heat and noise. I plan to fix both by watercooling the whole things. What I need to know is how many Thoroughbreds or Bartons can a Caprice handle with a shroud and two Evercool 120mm aluminum fans on it? I realize that I will need a very powerful pump to do this. Does anyone have reccomendations for a high flowrate cpu block and a good pump? I do not plan to overclock the CPUs at all. Only the CPUs will be cooled. Would the Thermochill 120.3 radiator at DangerDen be a better choice for a radiator?

Get yourself a pump from hell, slap on a few swiftech50s and a pair of those Caprice cores will do better (per dollar) than the 120.3 could. In that scenario, you'd probably want the highest-flow possible... with no overclocking, your cpu temp will be kept pretty happy with a swifty50. They are about as high flow as you'll get.

pumps... what's yer budget? You could probably get an Iwaki 55 or equiv on Ebay for $100'ish. That'd push through 5 systems without ANY problem.

Most of all...
GOOD LUCK ON THE FOLDING FARM.

Caprice cores are substantially larger than procores, are they not? If so, they should outdo the 120.3. Screw heater cores, for multiple PC's, get a kickass pump, a high powered Mag or Iwaki, and get the radiator from a car. :D What IS a Swifty500?

Budget is pretty open as I will not be building farm for a couple of months. I am just doing research now. I have tons of spending money and I am extremely competitive. My single barton at 2.17 will not win me an awards. But maybe a pair of 5 CPU farms will. It is also a nice thought that I am going to help find a cure.

http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcw5000.asp

Also... I believe the 120.3 is slightly more effective than a caprice core, although I'm too lazy to look up the link =p.

If you had a radiator that big, you'd have to provide ample airflow for it... unless you don't mind an ugly box fan duct-taped to a rusty rad, I'd stick with shrouded heatercores =p.

Competitive is good! Keep in mind, however, that the folding realm is my domain. Tread lightly when you enter into such competitions ^_^.

(oops...wrong forum!)

Actually I will be building it layer by layer. Once I hit 5 CPUs on the farm, I will probably stop building and just let it go. No room for anymore or the money it would take.

And are these CPUs all your own or are they your company's or what? There is no way that you keep them all at your house is there?

You could also go with 12 volt Comair Rotron Major's as your fans, these beasts are 172MM and move over about 235 CFM's at 12v. These are loud but will move enough air to get the heat out of pretty much ANY heater core. You could also use the blower motor that is in a car for the A/C and Heater. Good luck, this is something that I have wanted to do but and still trying to get layer 3 up and running on just air. I don't think I'll ever go water on the stack at this rate.

70-90 :rolleyes: thats crazy.... I'm gonna fire you man :D

Gosh i wish i can convince the admin in my school. We have >100 >2.0 P4 :eek:. I wonder how long would that take me to be on top 10 :p

That is another thing I am thinking about doing. If I could get my school...Well I would be number 1 then, if they were 24/7 folders. One of the students at my school recently died of cancer so I think I might have a good shot at it if I go to the principal and explain folding and how it would be a free tribute to the poor guy and his family. Cancer is a really horrible thing.

Back