• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP designing H20 system...cheaply

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jaruiz

Registered
I've been wanting to try watercooling for quite a while.I've ben OC'ing for quite a while (first OC project was my 486dx40), watercooling seems to be the nextlogical step. Here's my problem, since I'm undergoing chemo, I'm not working and am ona seroiously tight budget ...if it was for something I was sure I would get working well, I'd be willing to spend alot more (funded through what savings I haveleft) but as it is I have a HTPC project I'm working on and can prettymuch only allocate $50-$60 MORE...I have picked up a few parts here and there....a year ago I saw a Swiftech watercooling block mismarked at Fry's for $6.00 (figured I'dpick it up ...at worst I'd waste $6.00) then the other day I picked up a heater core from a 90's chevy S-10 ($7.00)...So I need a pump and fittings/tube as well as figuring out if I want to use a resevoir or T fitting....I'm not really clear on t fittings, how do you terminate the end? Also doesn't it make filling hard since your left with this rather smalltube to fill the water in (I guess a funnelwould work...BUT still left with the problem of closing it off). Also I looked at fittings and it doesn't seem that they'd work all that well with the Swiftech waterblock, from the looks of it the Swiftech takes a fitting that is just pushed in...I get a feeling that it wouldn't be all that water tight. Do the Swiftech's take some kind of proprietary fittings? I've seen done Danger Den waterblocks on sale (in which case I'd sell the Swiftech to fund the purchase....) Would that be a better option. As for water pumps I've been looking at some of the Via-Aqua pumps, they seem to be in the right price range for me and have over 300GPHflowrates....would these be a reasonableoption (I figure it'sbetter to wait and spend a little more on a pumpo than to get one that won't work...though I'd like to get this upand running within the nextmonthor so) I found a Via-Aqua 1300 for $14.00 (+ $8.00 shipping)...I figure then all I'd need would be fittings/tubing/incidentals (stuff to make fan shroud/120mm fan/ coolant etc...) and the $28 I'd have left budgeted for that would be should enough(actually I have a really nice Panflo 120mm fan that's quiet and has really good airflow)...As it's my firstproject, I'm not looking for it to produce the best cooling results around, I fugre once I get comfortable with it, then I'll build a much better system.I'djust like to build a system to "get my feet wet" (GUESS that's not the best wording to use when your talking about watercooling a computer...I really hope I can keepmy feetdry...alongwith everything else::p ...ANY help/advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

Ok, to terminate T lines, just use a plug like a barb with a cap on the end.

Next, Vias are alright, but seem to have a higher failure rate than pumps like Eheims (mucho dinero in comparison).

The swiftech fittings are fine, depending how you use them. If you have a block with the old style metal swivels, you can put 1/2" ID over the top and then put hose clamps on, works fine. The metal swivels also took stiff tubing instead of regular vinyl if I remember. Otherwise you can yank the fittings and replace them with standard barbs. The plastic ones I haven't heard anything bad about.

no it'snot the old metal ones...itlbasically hastwo holes in the top...there's a gasket of some kind inside...and a plastic ring around the outside...

Back