• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any problem with not running my pump for a while?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Why do you have to turn off your pump because of a hard drive failure? If you mean you won't be using the system at all...then of course it's ok to shut off your pump.

Even for a few weeks? Just want to be sure. Its the only HDD so the comp doesnt run.

Last edited:
Yeah, why not? It's just a pump...a lot of people have them on relays, and turn them off and on a couple times a day. That's not the best thing, because pumps like ours weren't really designed for that, but it's not going to kill them. I probably flip mine on and off a couple times a week, if the computer's going to be off for a while. So...it's not going to hurt anything, go ahead. :)

If you have any particle-based additives like Dye, it will likely settle in various locations... which might be a problem if you have a channel or jet-impingement waterblock. Settling in the tubing wouldn't be a problem, but in the 'hidden' corners of your setup, you might run into issues.

I wouldn't worry too much about leaving it off for a week or two, I don't think that particles will settle and cause problems in such a short time span, and if you only have Zerex in there I don't think there will be any seperation anyways.

Isn't Zerex used in cars, where it would be sitting 'stagnant' for a long time anyways?

Back