• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which Pump for this System...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

racefan20

I've been reading this bulletin board and a few others for the last couple months getting ideas for putting together a water cooled system. I've pretty much decided on everything but the pump which I have narrowed down to two choices, so I was wondering which one would be best based on performance and ease of use etc...

1) Swiftech MCP 600 - The place that I would be ordering it from has the Rev 1 from Swiftech, which has been factory modified / fixed. I am not completely familiar with this fix and was wondering how it affects performance and the durability of the unit.

2) Danner Mag 3 - My main concern about this pump is the problem with it leaking still an issue and is it absolutely necessary to take it apart and seal it like I have read people have done in the past? Also, how loud is it compared to the Swiftech?

Here is what's in my system, most of which I already have purchased or is on the way...

CPU Water Block - Cascade
Heater Core - Fedco # 2-342
Fans - 2 Delta 130 CFM controlled by a fanbus
Reservoir - Criticool WaterPlant
Tubing - ClearFlex 60 1/2"

I will be building an external box to put everything in that will sit on a shelf next to my computer case, parallel with the CPU. This set-up will be cooling a T-Bred 2100 that I am currently running at 2400 Mhz @ 1.875 volts (currently cooled by an SLK-800 w/ SF2). I hope to get a little more speed out of it along with less noise. I would also like to cool my video card eventually too.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

If money's an issue you already know which one to pick...
For saftey's sake I sealed mine up with aquarium sealant, along the barbs and the intake housing. Just took out the two screws, put a layer around the housing, screwed it back in. When I put the barbs in I just put a nice coating of the goop around the threads, worked like a charm :) Don't know if it's necessary, but I would do the same with ANY pump.

well if you dont like to worry then just got with the swiftec 12v one, A beacouse you dont have to get a relay b/c its 12v , B beacouse its a really good pump and rev 2 hasnt had any problems , and it has good pressure for its size. $80 swiftec vs $40 mag.....

I've used the Danner 3 for a long time and its worked well the whole time so go for that if you want to save some cash. But the size of the Swifty, the small heat output, and the fact its 12v are two very good points for choosing it. Especially since its only $64.95 at crazypc.com. :)

The fix had something to do with the impeller drive if I remember right. Something would go out and cause it to not work properly I think. Give Swiftech a call and they will be more than happy to answer any questions I'm sure.

i think orderding off swiftec is the best bet in getting the new pumps b/c i dont think swiftec wants to keep sending replacements now do they!

I've got a danner 250gph thats been pushing my fluid for 3 years, no leaks yet.

Thanks for the input. I got an email earlier this afternoon from Crazypc letting me know that they just got some of the Swiftech MCP 600 Ver 2's in stock, so I went ahead and ordered one. This is were I planned on getting it from as I live across the river and had planned on going over to pick it up. My other option would have been trying to find a Pet Smart in the metro Detroit area that had a Danner in stock (our PS here doesn't even carry them) and that seemed like a long shot.

My heater core just came in yesterday too, so I just have to get it fixed up. I got the heater core locally at a chain store called Parts Source. They ended up having to special order it for me, but if you live in Canada they have decent prices on heater cores, you just have to make sure you have the GM or Ford part number for it.

Back