• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

2 Qs: Cascade (SS) Q, and Heater Core Q

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JerMe

I'm new to the W/C "scene", but I've been lurking around and I think I'll be going with what a lot of people have been recommending: WW, Mag 3, T-line.

From what I've read, the wait list for a Cascade is really long, and I don't know anything about the Cascade SS (can't search "SS", too short!) So any info would be helpful there.

Also, I'm a little thrown with the heater core. Lots of people love the chevette core, but from reading around, I'm confused as to which core is the good one to use! I've read around that there are different designations with the 2-### (2-226, 2-342, etc.), and if I run to Kragen/Napa/AutoZone, I won't know which one to get if they have different ones to choose.

Or... I like Cathar's idea with the late model Camry core and Al shroud (remember this link?)... but can the Mag3 with the WW handle the flow with a core this big? And does painting the heater core decrease it's cooling performance? I wasn't sure if a coat or two would act as an insulator of sorts.

Thanks!

I dont know about the chevette thing but I can tell you yeah the list for the cascade is very long and cathar is doing his last batch of cascade ss right now. At least thats what he told me.(Im gonna have one YEAH)
TheNewGuy

The cascade ss is made out of like 99.9something% silver, and is slightly modified from the cascade design to cater to silver's properties.

From what I've heard, a mag3 would be more than enough for that setup. I've got an L30 running a WW, Maze4 gpu, dtek nb, dual 80mm radiator, and a T-line. The worst temps I'm getting are about 25c about ambient, and that's at 1.95 Vcore.

You could also go for a 2-342 heatercore, they're single pass, which means less flow restriction. I've got one coming in the mail.

feyd83 said:
The cascade ss is made out of like 99.9something% silver, and is slightly modified from the cascade design to cater to silver's properties.

99.997% pure silver for the SS - from data now available. I previously just quoted ~99.9% as I didn't want to mislead without accurately knowing the final figure.

All Cascade production is on indefinite hold until I feel like a human again. Sleep deprivation is such an under-appreciated form of torture.

Cathar said:
Sleep deprivation is such an under-appreciated form of torture.

Its the first tool used by the "civilized" world. When combined with diatary stimulation (Mmmm prunes), you end up wanting to talk pretty quick.

a mag 3 can easily handle that loop. In general heatercores are pretty high flow.

Cascade SS is just a Silver version of the cascade, SS = special silver [ed]

as for the heatercore, I'm 99% sure that either heatercore will work. The one Cathar is using will work better but with only a GPU generating heat... a 86 Chevette Heatercore is what you want but IMO; just get a 'Scratch & Dent' Pro-Core from D-Tek. For $24 you get a heatercore, painted with barbs installed; thats the same as or a few $$ more than you'd pay to do it yerself and its done right
http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=242
http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=100
http://www.dtekcustoms.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=100

Those who have the Cascade are lucky then! It's a one of a kind block.

Cathar, get some sleep man :D

*edit* I tried looking for the S&D items, but they're out of stock =(

Cathar said:

Sleep deprivation is such an under-appreciated form of torture.
BigSmokey said:

Its the first tool used by the "civilized" world. When combined with diatary stimulation (Mmmm prunes), you end up wanting to talk pretty quick.

TORTURE....I call that a fun weekend....

I once went to this"Museum of Torture"...they had these tools that were used to dig into the bones of people...funny how I saw those same tools when my Oncologist did a bone-marrow aspiration....torture...medicine...what's the differance?

Back