• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Are Hydor pumps as good as the eheim?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nick Burns

Your company's computer guy
I am thinking of getting a Hydor L-30 instead of an Eheim 1250. It bothers me that the Hydor is about $20 cheaper. What is wrong with the L-30?

Nothing in my experience - I used one for quite a while and had no problems with it. Some people complain about noise which never presented itself in my case, and a few people have reported getting cracks in the plastic housing that is used in this pump. If this happens you can always return it under warranty (If you're using a pump relay you can save your warranty, and get around cutting the pump cord by simply butchering an old extension cord, and cutting it to attach to the relay instead).

It's smaller than an Eheim, is cheaper, and looks nicer too (black plastic). So long as you don't mount it right on the floor of the case, which will cause a lot of noise through vibration, it shouldn't make any noise noticeable over a typical 30 dba fan. I actually forgot to turn mine off a couple of times by accident, and didn't hear it running overnight.

They seem like good pumps. I think their main goal was the performance of an Eheim but more economical.

Basicly everything felinusz said. Little noisier, some reliability (user error?) issues, but overall good pumps.

I have Felinusz old pump :D and it works great. I was considering the Eheim 1250 but this Hydor is half the size and dead silent. I love this pump and cant see a reason why to go with the Eheim.

I've used both and they are both silent. I recommend the Hydor because of the price and size. With that said Eheim pumps have been know to last for 10 plus years in aquariums.

Not relly much differance but the eheim is better quality and has a better reputation.

I would still get a L30 tho. The price differance is just too great.

Back