• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I'm trying to cut down noise from Water Cooling setup

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

asw7576

I'm very close to go water cooling. I have ordered 4 block of Maze4 for all my PCs.

I read many water cooling setup topic eg. reservoir, T line, water blocks, radiator & fan, in-line pumps, shrouds, water composition, etc. But none of these setup topic cares about rattling noise emitted from the pump or extra noises radiated from radiator fans.

I'm planning to water cooled because I'm tired with CPU fans, and this is my motivation to go water cooling: Silent PC! If the rattling noise from pump is as loud as fans.... then my mission is failed.

How to minimise the rattling noise from a pump ?

Ehiem and Hydor pumps are very quiet. The only other noise would be from your fan. I use Vantec Stealth fans and they are almost inaudible. Shrouding heater cores and radiators will quiet fan noise by straitening the air flow and reducing turbulence.

You can also use a fan controller to balance the noise/performance of your fans. I have a Vantec controller with four separate rheostats that allow me to set the rpm on my radiator fan, exhaust fan, and intake fan, with one rheostat left over. Here is a link so you can see what it looks like:
http://www.svc.com/vannexfancon.html

Ehiem and Hydor pumps are very quiet
I don't know if I would agree with the Eheim being very quiet. I just got my system up and running with a 1250 and the vibration hum is louder than my case fans. In fact my w/c setup now makes more noise than the systen sitting next to it, that is all air cooled, and temps are only 1.5c better. I am a newb to w/c and this has only been up since last night, so if I have missed something, please tell me.

How's your pump secured? Mine's hanging from dampening mounts. That kills most of the vibrations, the rest is coming from the pump's power cord touching the case. I put mouse pad pieces under my case's feet and that killed all vibrations traveling to my desk.

I set my case on the Styrofoam that came in the box from DTek and that helped. I don't know if I can isolate the pump from the case (or the edge of my Soundblaster for that matter) without either removing the SB of a total hose re-route, which will put a bunch of un-needed bends in the tubing. I will have to look at that.

I use EPDM rubber weatherstripping to isolate stuff from the case - works great. I got it at the local home improvment store, under the name "FrostKing".

Actually, right now I wish I had used the Hydor L30 instead of the Eheim.

Pntgrd said:
Actually, right now I wish I had used the Hydor L30 instead of the Eheim.

Because it's louder and has more reliability issues :p? Try a mousepad or bubblewrap to cut down noise. I found some foam called durafoam which cushions my mag3 very well. Comparable to bubblewrap but with a cleaner look.

Because it's louder and has more reliability issues
No, actually because it is so much smaller that I would have alot more options in placement to help isolate it from the case. In essence, to really move the pump anywhere but where it is I am going to have to pull out the souond card and go to the onboard AC97 sound chip. I cannot get the card to the slot next to the AGP slot because of the bloc and hoses on my vid card. The sound card is in the next slot but the 1250 is nestled right in between the side of the case and the edge of the sound card, basically touching both, lightly.

You guys who have your pumps sitting on foam and stuff: How do you have the pump secured so that it does not move around when you have to put the case on its side?

Nick Burns said:
You guys who have your pumps sitting on foam and stuff: How do you have the pump secured so that it does not move around when you have to put the case on its side?

Velcro tape. You can buy it at hardware stores for very cheap.

Bicycle Inner Tubing - cheap and very effective :) I use that, and screw mounts with rubber washers to kill all vibration in the case (fans, pump, etc.).

Since everything is screwed down through the dampening inner tubing, and the washers, the case can be carried around and even flipped upside down without stuff falling all over the place.

Most 120mm fans you will be using are nearly silent, and typically don't produce bothersome noise (not whiney noise, but deep, humming noise). Running them on 7V, or using an inexpenive rheostat to silence is a soloution if they do still bother you.

Because it's louder and has more reliability issues
No, actually because it is so much smaller that I would have alot more options in placement to help isolate it from the case. In essence, to really move the pump anywhere but where it is I am going to have to pull out the souond card and go to the onboard AC97 sound chip. I cannot get the card to the slot next to the AGP slot because of the bloc and hoses on my vid card. The sound card is in the next slot but the 1250 is nestled right in between the side of the case and the edge of the sound card, basically touching both, lightly.

Nick Burns said:

I bolted mine down so the pump and case sandwich the foam.

Pntgrd, I forgot what a monster the 1250 was. I had the same problem using a tiny via 1300 in my old case.

Well, removed my souncard and went to the onboard chip. Seems alright, I'll try this for a bit. I also put a piece of regular good old fashioned "bubble sheet" under the pump. That helps but I need to find a more permanent solution. I am beginning to think the "best way" is to move everything outside the case. But what really get's to you is that my "air" setup was good enough that now my case temps are 5c HIGHER because of going to w/c'n my 9800Pro instead of the VGA Silencer, and my cpu temps are the SAME as what they were with an SP94.

Pntgrd said:
I don't know if I would agree with the Eheim being very quiet. I just got my system up and running with a 1250 and the vibration hum is louder than my case fans. In fact my w/c setup now makes more noise than the systen sitting next to it, that is all air cooled, and temps are only 1.5c better. I am a newb to w/c and this has only been up since last night, so if I have missed something, please tell me.

This is what I'm afraid of....... I plan water cooling for a silent pc, and I might end up with more complicated system with extra humming noise.

Aarrgghhh...... I already order 4 maze

bolting the pump directly to where it's going will cause vibration to the
rest of the system. with a thick layer of soft foam around the pump i
would think that would quiet it down quite a bit. if cooling of the pump
is done with the water it pumps, additional foam over the pump would
help even more.

try not to get discouraged with your water cooling before it's even started ;).
there are alot of helpfull members here to help us through our quest for
a quieter/cooler PC.

rich

Clutch_Head said:

try not to get discouraged with your water cooling before it's even started ;).
there are alot of helpfull members here to help us through our quest for
a quieter/cooler PC.

rich

Thank You !!!! This is what I need!!! Moral Support !!! OK... I'm charged!!! :D :D

I have good plan, but rather expensive..... I will move the pump and radiator outside ( make small holes through wall ). I will provide the pics and results.

Back