• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4C800E users -- important note about VCORE settings!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LuckMan212

sorry if some of you may have seen this info before or know about it, but I felt it was very important and I myself didn't know about it even after hanging around these forums for a while...so.....

please go and read THIS POST

basically it says that in testing, ASUS is doing something weird with their VCORE/BIOS settings above 1.600, and you will actually get a much more stable OC if you set your VCORE to 1.6 instead of 1.650, 1.675, etc...

I tried this for myself and verified that my machine that was NOT prime stable at 1.675 *IS* now 100% prime stable (well, at least for 16hrs so far :D )

I was considering doing the "droop mod" but it looked to be slightly beyond my soldering skills and I am glad I didn't do it now since I am stable and VCORE fluctuation is now very minimal even at 100% load with 2 prime's running. My Vcore reading now is ~1.625 idle and droops to 1.55 under full load. Before, when I was at 1.675, it would droop all the way down to 1.50 !! and that is a HUGE drop of almost .2v!:eek:

I thought you all should know this and I am curious if your results are the same!

does this work with P4P800 Deluxe too? im running 1.6 and im prime stable :)

Interesting Read. I'm wondering if this applies to the Rev 1.1 board? In my OCing experiences with my P4C800-E i have noticed less stability as the vcore goes higher which indeed did seem odd. I assumed the CPU was flaky with more but now am reevaluating this scenerio.

ciku said:
like what i said, im now using 1.6 :)

what I meant was, try upping your VCORE to 1.65 and see if it stays at or above 1.6 during full load (prime95)... this is the test.

I just tried what you suggested. Never went over 1.6v before - had read numerous articles like your link. So I expected a "no post" or strange voltage readings. But what I got at 1.625v and 1.65v was the exact above / below at idle / load fluctuations with settings of 1.6v and below. I experienced no instability with Prime95 (which has been killing me lately) and the voltages pretty much stayed at 1.6v or above under load. Didn't get higher temps either - 41.5°C or below at 100% load.

are you saying that when you raised your vcore >1.6 your Prime95 stability improved? if that's the case, it doesn't surprise me... nothing saps power from a CPU like Prime..:D

in any case, I guess your testing shows that the droop issue is isolated to the P4C800 and doesn't affect the P4P.

No, not really. Just that those voltage settings didn't create instability in Prime95 @ system settings that already proved stable at 1.6 vcore. It appeared from reading others' experiences that it could happen, if the actual voltage readings were far different than BIOS settings.

hmmmm mine is really prime stable atm.. up for 4 days nows and been running different kind of apps and games :)

nope, coz im not using an expensive hsf... 3.06Ghz right now and 24 hours prime stable. I wonder if i get the same ram but 2x512, would it be stable? hmmm

yeah see don't you think that's weird Thumper? at 1.7vcore you should not be drooping to 1.55 under load. I don't think the ABIT boards work like that... anyway it doesn't matter I guess, at 1.6 I am happy with the performance.

p.s.-- what stepping and where did you get your 2.4c?

......I'll have to look up my steppin but I got it at a local shop. Its been running 294 fsb since day one......

nice OC mate!
more and more I see "non-m0" steppings doing higher FSBs than the SL6Z3's... I am starting to think the whole SL6Z3 thing is just a rumor that spun out of control............

it isnt that the SL6Z3 can do higher FSB than the d1 stepping and such...they just dont need as much volts and require less cooling..i think they did spin it out of control with the higher FSB thing

yeah what p1$$es me off a bit is how some retailers are now 'binning' their cpus so you will never get an m0 if you just order the plain one, you have to pay $200 (or more) to buy the m0's, and you know INTEL doesnt charge them a penny more for those cores, they are just profiting from the rumor...

I have personally ordered a bunch of these "magic" chips from places like AZZO computers and been pretty disappointed with the results.... but that's just me:rolleyes:

Back