• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Water Cooling hoses

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tw00sh

I do not see this question asked anywhere and I am not even sure how to ask it because I do not know what the hoses are called.

But, I see hoses at some sites that are PVC or PCV? Not sure what it is called?

What I am wondering is, can I use the type of Silicon hose that you can get for fish aquariums instead of this generic hose? The silicon hoses have a blue tint to them naturally and are suppose to keep bateria and what not lower.

Will this type of hose handle the temperatures?

Sorry if this is a repeated question, I am just trying to investigate everything before I make a commitment to a product.

i too am a water cooling n00b (for PC's anyway :p). this poll will give you
a good idea of what people use. $Tygon$ and Clearflex60 are the most popular.
i went with clearflex60 from McMaster-Carr SKU#5231K237. it's referred to
as "Chemical PVC Tubing". thanks felinusz! :)

HTH
rich

Yes, they will work. They do however have a drawback, that being waterloss. The hoses allow water to evaporate @ a higher rate than the PVC variety.

You'll get a lot of hits in this forum if you search on "tubing".

I love my silicone tubing, and will always use it.
I have to order more though, as this same tubing has been in 5 or 6 of my systems over the years and the pieces are getting a bit short....

I've not seen any evaporation with mine, but I do have a 6"x6"x4" reservoir.

You say it comes in Blue too? hmmm....time to go shopping.:D

*Oh and it's PVC, short for PolyVinylChloride...PCV is a valve under the hood of your car.

Voodoo Rufus said:
Why don't more people use silicone tubing? It seems uber-flexible.

Is it the cost?

It's not much more than ClearFlex60 from DD. It's $1.97 a foot at McMaster.

The two main reasons people don't use it is because:

1. It's not "Pretty". Usually it's only found in a dingy yellow color.

2. It's hard to find 1/2" ID silicone tubing.

BUT, I happened to stumble across some 1/2" ID silicone tubing that is available in opaque black and red; translucent white, blue, and clear. Here. (Scroll down to the bottom of the page)

Back