• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Should I flash bios?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stabber

Wonder if I should follow the "if its not broke dont fix it" quote. Everythings running good. What advantage could a bios flash give me?

If you really want to update the bios. I suggest backing up first.
I tried to update my bios once, and it was successful. The problem showed up when my comp tried to boot to windows. It got stuck on a dark screen. Thats been my experience, so as for now I'm sticking with the F6 bios.

Do you have a dual bios rig? That takes all the danger out of flashing. The newer P4 Gigabyte boards really are a breeze to flash compared to the older PIII's. I have flashed my board 4 times experimenting with the different releases.
Go to the Gigabyte website. They list details on the fixes with each new bios. Some flashes unlock new multipliers or voltage options but on the other hand, you may not need an updated bios.

If you do not have dual bios, an and not comfortable with flashing, don't waste your time.

I agree with Redstone, flashing the bios is not 100% fullproof. ALWAYS have a backup of your old bios before updating your bios. Flashing is not a perfect art yet.

Back