• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

custom res saddness :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

woods

I have a large (1.5gallon) res I made from lexan. It fit perfectly into my custom built case link . well I leaktested it fo OVER A WEEK! no leaks. well I finally was satisfied that it would work so I hooked it up and got some real nice temps and ok performence gains.well I was sitting here working on installing some stuff and my wife asked if my case was supposed to be leaking water. I unplugged all of it fast and pulled it apart. There are small craks now along most of the seems! They only started since I had it hooked up to the pc.! I guess it is different stresses when there is a heat load.

a special glue that bonds harder than concrete! It is not cracking, the lexan around it is. This is the stuff that is used to bond ballistic grade 1" lexan with no seems. My fraind works at a glass place and he got it for me for free.

-edit-

Oh, so the lexan is cracking? are you sure its lexan brand or just polycarbonate? or even acrylic?

Jon

Are you using anything like acetone, methanol, or isoprophyl alchohol in thw water? All of those are imbrittlement agents for polycarbonate and acrylic, and would explain the hairline cracks next to the seams.

I have learned that tiny "starter" cracks will propegate when exposed to water and also even faster when exposed to micro-wetting agents such as that found in antifreeze or Water Wetter. When you leak tested it, was it just water? Or, did you have the real fluid in it at the time?

I am sure it was lexan. I did not leak test with the antifreeze in it. It was 1/4 in.. Only antifreeze is (was) in it. I can have a few pics later. I am now running it out of a milk jug. It actually works nice(ugly but nice). I put some ice in it for kicks and am getting very VERY nice temps. 21C full load! I may have to look into chilled water.

be sure that those Ice Cubes are distilled water and ideally the same mix distilled to addative as the rest of your loop...

also don't forget about condensation!!!

still, I might try that for a one time boost... can you say 2.8ghz???

Back