• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rad question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rich25

I am relatively new to watercooling and just had a couple questions. 1 Since I am going to be putting my systems in a piece of furniture I am going to build I have essentially unlimited space ( well maybe not more like 3 x 3 feet) for a radiator but I will also have at least two cpu’s and two gpu’s to cool. My biggest concern is silence, if I can hear it at 2 feet, it is unacceptable, I have already got a plan for hard drive silencing so my only concern now is fan and pump noise. What type of radiator/heatercore would produce the best results with the lowest noise The cpu’s will most likely be an overclocked 2500+(going for 2300) and an 1800+ (stock since is currently just a web browser) for gpu’s a 9800 pro and a ti4200. I am guessing a 1250 would probably be my best bet for a pump but what also must be considered is that due to the sheer size of this “case” all the tubing will probably be in the vicinity of 40 ft (min ½ ID however, may even go larger where possible). Any ideas on the rad(s) and pump would be greatly appreciated.

Rich

I'd go with Mag drive.! escpecially with all that tubing you say you'll use.. as the mags have GREAT head pressure.. i'd say MAG 3.. dont get the 5 .. at alot of head it actually does worse than the 3..

as far as your "heat exchange" device i would go with the biggest heater core you could with some Panaflo 120x38mm on it and run them @ 7V.. i have one running on my 86 Chevet core @ 9V and cant hear it over my HD or 80's

WOW! That's a whole lotta tubing. I'd highly sugest at least 3/4" tubing where possible.

Since space isn't a concern... A pair, or as many as you feel like buying, FEDCO 2-342 rads. Seriously, 3 of 4 of those would rock, and you could oick up 4 of them for the same price as two pro cores and have 4X the radiating area.

But since hoise is an issue, look into BLOWERS! They are a crap load quieter, and have better flow characteristics than axial fans.

Pump... Due to the unusual amount of tubing and the potential for lots of big rads, I'm going to buck conventional wisdom and recomend a couple of big pumps. An Iwaki MD-20RZT or 30RZT, MAG 5 or 7 would rock your world. Trust me.

Yep

thats gonna be a ton of tubing but if you think about it the whole piece is going to be on the order of 7 feet tall (it will house 2-3 complete systems UPS, scanner, 2 printers, backup monitor (cheap lcd for when i am working on other people's comps, complete wc'ing system for all the cpu's and gpu's, router, and cable modem. Since the logical place for the rad(s) are on top and for various reasons the systems will be near the bottom every run will have to cover a space of 5-6 feet. I'm glad clearflex 60 is fairly cheap. So two pumps huh hmm definitly don't have the cash for the iwaki but maybe a couple 1250's but then i have a chance for noise more then with just one eh lots of thinking to do. Thanks for the ideas keep em coming.

Rich

DO NOT PUT THE RADS IN THE TOP. As close to the floor as possible is ideal.

If you can afford two 1250's, you can afford a MD-20RZT that will kick the snot out of two 1250's.

Only problem with the bottom is airflow as this will be a mostly closed structure getting intake and exhaust air would be quite difficult and inefficient but thanks for the idea. if i can figure out a way to mount it in sort of a front intake rear exhaust "wind tunnel" this might be a possibility but then comes the fan noise problem again man i wish someone made really really long vga cables so i could just mount this sucker in another room and not have to worry about the noise.

Rich

Last edited:
Thanks

Havn't seen that before, man looks like all of these things are small but then again logical considering where they are meant to go

Rich

i was also looking into running rad about 10ft away from me but i dont think my 1250 would be able to keep good flow rates with my rbx. I saw some new pump dangerden is stockin and it looks to be a winner!

Back