• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Got an Intel 2.4C, need a good not to expensive board for OC.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Memnock

Hey guys, I got an Intel 2.4 ghz processor (the malaysian one that's supposed to be great for overclocking), and am looking for a motherboard that will let me take it up to 3 ghz without a problem.

Now the catch is that I don't want to spend too much money as I'm kinda broke right now. (I've had the processor a while because I bought it some time ago when I heard a rumor that they were going to be discontinued or something and I'm sick of looking at it and not having a mobo to put it in :D )

So the question is: is there an inexpensive mother board that is a good/stable overclocker and will let me reach 3 ghz without problems? Prefferably something under $100 if possible.

Thank you.

Im not sure about the prices of boards where about you live, but might I suggest a abit IS7, or one of the p4*800 boards from Asus ?

Sorry if they're too expensive.. i mean.. over here those boards are like $300+

Wouldn't suggest an Albatron 845 chipset... My Albatron 845 would indeed do the 800fsb, but wouldn't go much over like 209 stabily. My Albatron 865 chipset board is doing awesome, but I bought the most expensive one they have because I wanted all the cool features.

I've owned two and love them both. I'd definately suggest someone look into them if they wanted inexpensive performance. Most reviewers say the same thing...

Bought an Albatron 845 and 2.8C.

Within two weeks I built another system with that board and bought a P4P800 dlx.

That albatron overclocked like a hog. The P4P at stock ram gave me 3.2GHz. With my OCZ 3200 I make 3.5 easy with stock cooling and a tiny voltage nudge.

regards,
r

Why did you buy an Albatron 845 board?!? The 845 chipset is for 400 and 533 bus chips, NOT FOR 800FSB CHIPS. The simple fact that the damned thing even worked at 800FSB is a 67% overclock from it's rated stock speed.

The P4P that you bought is the (correct) 865 chipset which is meant for 800FSB processors.

My vote goes to the ai7 if you plan to run 5:4. It seems to sometimes have issues 1:1, so if you want 1:1 go with the p4p800. the p4p800's vdim mod is realy easy, so the low vdim isn't a big deal

not to sound like a jerk or anything, but this question has been asked atleast 200 times, and probably about 5 times on the front page of the intel mobo section. This is one of those questions that you should realy either use the search button, or just look down the threads. You cna probably find about 200000 responses to this question in 5 minutes, so you still might want to do that just to get more opinions on the subject.

One of the cheaper motherboards is the IS7-E, it has a couple features less than the regular IS7, but it's still a good board that will overclock well.

The IS7 is a great board. I have one myself but the regular IS7....

But from reading, I wished I had purchased an ASUS P4P800 Deluxe.

I will wait and see when the newer stuff comes out. DDR II etc.

Back