• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Pump pricing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SK8

Well i need some help trying to find the cheapest cost for the IWAKI MD20RTL , i can find it for 159 over @ marine depot. Whats the major diff btw the WDM20rtl and the Md20rtl. B/c ones about $50 cheaper and also the Custom Aquatics T4 is same price as MD20rtl and it has god like specs but i think that is super over kill. Help a bro out!

MD stands for "Monkey Driven."
WMD Stands for "Wimpy Monkey Driven."

The problem is... the Japanese believe in higher quality primates than the type that we Americans employ. As such, the Japanese motors (MD suffix) run quieter and produce less heat than those used by the Americans. The Japanese assembly is composed of many less parts than the American one.

MD = great
WMD = decent

Everyone here would suggest the MD over the WMD... I would never use an WMD because of the heat... also, I am anti-American.

The following does have relavance to this thread.

Now I have a question about Iwaki for the IWAKI owners Has anybody actually owned both a MD and WMD to do an honest comparison?

IMO the WMD = vastly inferior and should be avoided is based solely on conjecture. People are just repeating what they've "heard".

Regarding the WMD series running "hotter". Both the Japanese and American motors draw .53 amps @ 110V AC(58.3 watts) and output 1/38th horsepower(19.61 watts). That means the pump motor is overall 29.7% efficient at converting electricity to mechanical energy. So what happened to the other 38.69 watts? It's turned to heat. So if both pump motors are 29.7% efficient and turn 38.69 watts to heat, How on earth can the American motor be "Hotter".

So is it worth the extra money for what people think?

Thanx for the help guys i just found a Iwaki MD15RLT off captivereefs.com for 134.99 , this pump seems like it would do the job verry well with 200+ gph @ 6ft head. Would it be better to get this or another 1250 and run both of them... I plan to run 2 seprate loops or just mess around with the 1250 u kno how playing in the bathtub is with a pump :)

I was told from an Aquarium-enthusiast buddy of mine that he replaced his WMD with a same model MD because the 'exterior' was getting noticeably hotter than he wanted. He said the problem wasn't present on his MD. Personally, I've never owned a MD so I'm merely going on his (and common) opinion.

Vonkaar how much did you spend for your md30 , theres now a new catch! My dad still thinks w/c is evil and he thinks gettin a stronger pump is more evil b/c he thinks i'll be running 30+ psi in it. LOL the iwaki is only gonna be like 7-10 psi plus with restrictions its gonna be less so i think hes crazy! I allready got 2 heatercores and im not gonna chill water so i dont think theres much more i really can do with my wc :/

there shuld be almost no pressure in close loop as long as you doint use restive parts ths only pressure will be drop accrost the RAD and CPU block.
Rember keep the flow up.

i hate my parents, they owe me $100 from a refund and they wont give to me till june when i get my 939sys and i really want a new pump. Would a local store sell these pumps...

Back