• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IC7-MAX3 SPD Problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barryng

I have been running an IC7-MAX3 for a number of months now. Using the following settings the machine has been completely stable and runs both Memtest386 and Prime without errors.

2.4c P4 @ 267MHz FSB (3.2 GHz)
512 Mb Mushkin PC3500 Black Level II
5:4 memory multiplier / 2.7 volts
DRAM Timing Manual 2.5/6/3/3
BIOS Ver 13 10/30/03 (This is the latest BIOS)

I just increased the memory to 1Gb by adding two sticks of PC3500 Mushkin Black Level I. Mushkin no longer sells PC3500 Black Level II DDRAM.

Now, the bios insists on defaulting back to settings by SPD no matter what I manually set the DRAM timing multiplier to. This precludes the IC7 from even posting at any FSB greater than 214 MHz because the multiplier defualts to 1:1.

Why does increasing the memory from 512Mb to 1 Gb cause the IC7 to not remain at the manually set multiplier (5:4) and consistently default back to Timing by SPD with a 1:1 ratio? I remember reading something somewhere that this is a known problem with this mobo but I cannot find reference to it now. Is there a fix for this or this otherwise excellent board that seems to be crippled with a 512MB memory limit if it is overclocked? Please help!

Back