• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thermaltake SP-94 and 947 do not work w/ IC7max3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

doxwideload

Hi there everyone-
'
Anyone have any advice on which heatsink to go with on this mobo.

The thermaltake sp-94 and 947 series do not fit properly. I have a few pc's so I own both of these heatsinks and have made both fit into the IC7max3 but temps are high. I know the temperature is over about 10 degrees from reading the posts. Any insight would be great. Thanks

Jason

I have used the SP94 on the IC7-Max3 successfully. It is a tight fit. The heatpipes should point (or face) the back of the motherboard where the mouse/keyboard/sound/usb connectors are. Part of the stock northbridge cooler will touch against the side of the SP-94. You will have plenty of clearance next to the OTES. Also note that copper heatsinks work better with high rpm fans, I'd suggest something over 45 cfm. Aluminum heatsinks work better with low rpm fans.

What kind of thermal grease are you using? Be sure to spread a very thin coat on the IHS of the cpu, don't over do it.

I have both Thermalright's slk-947u and sp-94 and both work fine for me. I had the slk-947u and didn't have a problem with it and then the sp-94 came out and I got it think temps might go down alittle more and I got maybe 2C lower but it fit with no problem. I didn't have to mod anything to get them to work. I think the sp-94 fits the Max3 better then the 947 does.

Back