• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best ram for p4p800 865pe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LancerJay

Hi I'd like to get everyone's opinion on what the best name brand RAM for an ASUS motherboard. I want to know the best model, size, speed, and best OC'er for an ASUS motherboard. To be specific the ASUS P4P800 865PE chipset. Right now I'm looking at the Kingston pc3500. But I see some that costs $83 and some that costs $110, I can't really see the difference as far as the specs go. I'm also looking at PC3700 from Corsair. Is Geil a good brand for ASUS? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm using geil.. check specs below... never had a problem :) running at suggested cas timings and im waiting for my new 2x512 Dual Chan ram.. $180 :)

hey johnflyons, how are you cooling your rig cuz there is noway in hell i could get those results on my 2.4.i have to set my divider to 3:2 just to get to 250 fsb and its still not that stable

o ya. ciku, im gonna try your settings whyen i get home tonight but i dont think my rig will do it.i think my cpu or ram is fuxored but if its my ram i will be really ****ed.

Polargoat, with that kind of ram u have? im sure u can go higher :)
btw, 1.5 gig? 2x512 and 2x256? or 1GB and 1x512? lemme know coz i think its better if u use either one, not both at the same time...

2x512 and 2x256 heh.and yes i should be able to o/c like a mfer, dunno why i am havin trouble gettin it up higher.

i dont think its a good idea to use mixed ram... try using 2x512... it might make ur rig stable... mine is 24 hours+ prime stable :)

yes, it's possible... both dual chan rams? u might wanna read this, lots of info bout rams :)

ya they were both dual chan rams.ok.i got the fsb at 250 - vcore at 1.6 - ddr ref voltage at 2.85 - turbo on - divider at 5:4 - dram timings are 2-3-3-5 burst at 4 and mam is on 64t and 64 usec.

what do you have your burst at and also your agp aperture?

burst length is 8, im sure ur ram supports 8 and agp aperture is ur vid. card ram, i got a 128 vid. card ram so i use 128 as agp aperture :) btw, u running 1.5 still? try these settings on 2x512 and run prime for 6-8 hours if its stable, then put back ur 2x256 ram aight?

ya it supports burst 8 but i think im confused on the dram timings.when you look at the dram timings im listing mine from the top to the bottom is that right?starting from cas to ras with burst being the last option.precharge is somewhere in between the burst and the ras.ill have to look at my bios again to remember.I can usually tell if my system is stable if i run battlefield for about a half hour cuz if its unstable itll lock up lol.i dont have prime 95 yet.you got a link for that?ill check the oc home page.so start prime 95 when i go to bed ??heh.i got lots to learn.

Prime95 Link

cas is suppose to be written as 2-6-3-3 but in ur bios, the order of that one is 2-3-3-6 then 8 (burst length) then 64T/64uSec etc... :)

well,the pc is running great so far.im gonna do some sisoft benchs tonight and also up my fsb to 255.im still just using the 2 sticks of 512 .im just going to stick the 2 sticks of 256 into my sons pc cuz hes only got 512 so he needs it more than i do.I think using just the two dimms made a diff tho.
When you run prime 95 how are you running it?i tried the torture test blend and let it run thru 4 tests and my cpu got up to 49 centrigrade but no errors and no warnings.what other tests should i run?

I usually run cpu burn-in and prime95 together to get 100% load on both cpu and ram and no errors :) although b4 i got a new hsf, my load temp was 49C too but with the new hsf, i only get 45C. Anyway, using 4 sticks of ram stresses ur memory controller (according to my ram manufacturer and according to some threads). B4 i usually get locks up, when i remove my 2x256 coz i was using 4x256, my rig was perfectly stable! My cas is my ram's suggested timings, wats ur cas for ur ram? with that kind of ram, im sure u can run more aggressive timings :)

Back