• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok, I'm buying the final piece of my setup... the pump.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChillPhatCat

This last week I've been reading reviews, comparing prices and ordering parts for my watercooling setup... this is what I've bought so far... so please don't tell me I shoulda bought this or that... I'm interested though if I got good deals.

Maze4 WB (1/2" fittings)-$35
1990 Chevy Caprice Heatercore - $20
2x Enermax 95CFM 120mm fans - $13 ea.
10' 1/2" Tygon tubing - $16

I'm looking for a pump that will push the water through the system as fast as possible without pulling a line off (not too much PSI)... There will be no GPU or NB waterblocks in my first version and It will be closed loop with a small T-line....

I've seen plenty of people using the Ehiem 1250 with the Caprice heater cores... but does it have enough head and flow rate for what I want? I want to keep load temps under 40C. With my Barton 2500+ @ 2.0-2.1V

Thanks for any help... I'm thinking the 1250 will be enough... just kinda want a yea or nay...

yeah the 1250 will be enough. a cheaper pump would be the mag3 and it also has a bit more head than the eheim

I just got my setup.

WW Dtek
Unknown Dual 120mm Heatercore Dual Pass
Quiet 1200 Pump
2400M@ 2300 1.825 Volts
T-line for Res

During Prime 95 temps maxed at 35C, but was usally around 33C. Not sure if you can stay under 40C at that high of a voltage. No lapping to the block and my fans on the Rad were not even close to the right spot(Had it ghetto setup for testing) So I might be able to shave a few C's off of my low temp :D

i ordered a mag3 last week
I've got to say, i'm very happy
very very powerful pump
spec wise, the mag3 is better then the ehiem 1250 and cheaper
from the forums, i hear they are both very dependible.
either one you get, you won't be disappointed though..

i got mine from ..
http://www.ereeftank.com/customer/product.php?productid=432&cat=125&page=1
possible the cheapest (i did a lot of searching) besides ebay...
i has a THREE year warrenty, which rocks..
but if u cut the wire (which i'm about to do to hook up a relay) it will void the warrenty... oh well..

//edit
btw, the mag3 has 10ft of head..
ehiem has 6ft.

you wanna make sure you don't use small tubing like 3/8"id, atleast 1/2" to not restrict the pump

Does the MAG3 have 1/2" OD fittings on it? If not, what size are they and what adapter did you have to get for it. Also, How much louder(if at all) is the MAG3 than the Hydor L-30 or the Eheim 1250?

Korndog said:
i ordered a mag3 last week
I've got to say, i'm very happy
very very powerful pump
spec wise, the mag3 is better then the ehiem 1250 and cheaper
from the forums, i hear they are both very dependible.
either one you get, you won't be disappointed though..

I second the motion and move for a vote.

Ok, Mag3 is looking pretty good to me... much smaller dent out of the wallet too :)

One noob question... it says inline or submersible... it doesn't need modification to run inline does it? I thought I read about someone sealing their pump with silicon to get it to run inline...

Oh and on the topic of putting the pump on a relay or not...

I expect my computer will be turned on 2-3 times a day... so should I just let the pump run 24/7 plugged straight into the wall?

Nick Burns said:
Does the MAG3 have 1/2" OD fittings on it? If not, what size are they and what adapter did you have to get for it. Also, How much louder(if at all) is the MAG3 than the Hydor L-30 or the Eheim 1250?

It has 1/2" MPT (different from barbed) for the outlet and a 1/2" FPT on the intake, you need to get a threaded-barbed adapter, found in a lot of stores like homedepot/orchard/ect.
as for sound.. well.. while u bleed the system its like VRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.. then when u get the air out its like.. sssss.. very very quiet, basicly comparible with my blower or my two 21dba panaflo fans. its not like maxijet though, that thing was inaudible, but for such a powerful pump, its pretty quiet. if u have a 25dba+ fan, u will not hear it at all, imo.
comparing with the ehiem.. i've heard the ehiem is very quiet which is expected from quailty german engin. like my VW jetta, it purs like a kitten :D
but no really, ehiem is very high quailty thats why u pay more. mag 3 do not have the quality of an ehiem, but for the budget, i see them better then maxijets, via aquas, and hydor.

Well Mag3 is on the way... I really couldn't go wrong with that price... so we'll see how it does... reliability of the pump isn't all that important since the computer should be able to auto shutoff if it gets too hot... the two enermax fans put out about 30 dB together so the pump noise is not a issue... it will be a vast improvement over my current 45 dB.

My total comes to $147 with shipping...

ChillPhatCat said:
Ok, Mag3 is looking pretty good to me... much smaller dent out of the wallet too :)

One noob question... it says inline or submersible... it doesn't need modification to run inline does it? I thought I read about someone sealing their pump with silicon to get it to run inline...

Oh and on the topic of putting the pump on a relay or not...

I expect my computer will be turned on 2-3 times a day... so should I just let the pump run 24/7 plugged straight into the wall?

erm.. not really a modification..
if u go to a hardware store that sells like piping and stuff u can find the fittings for it (make sure to get plastic fittings!) you can get a small tube of silicion for dirt cheap as well..
or u can get it online instead.. i'll find the link
you would have to do the same for ehiem and other pumps because they are intended for aquarium/pond use. not really a big deal though..
as for relays, its up to you really..
if u want to run it 24/7 or not..
some people actually put the pump along with there computer on one powerstrip and switch it off/on that way for safty. getting a relay will extrend the life of the IMO.

ERP I think I understand now... we're talking about sealing the barb to the threaded inlet/outlet... so is RTV acceptable? I have plenty of that lying around...

Last edited:
Back