• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

diode cooler than socket temps with WC?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

repilce

I got my new 2800 today and a7n8x.. got it up and started OC'n and with full prime load @ 2255mHz @ 1.675(bios) / 1.71(mbm) it's showing 29C for the DIODE and 40C for socket temp.. and i'm thinking this might actually be right because the "diode" temps seems to be more quickly repsonsive to temp changes..

wow, it sounds like some really helpful posts............

I know in the past, those boards on die diode reader wasnt correct, I think a bios revision fixed it. Im not totally sure. nikhsub1 is the man to ask. He had one and had it reading correctly.

Jon

I had many A7N8X's and what you are seeing, the on-die being cooler than the insocket thermistor is what I saw too. This is why we always hear about people saying their temps were better with air cooling than when they switched to water, there is no airflow around the socket. What are you ambient temps? What is the rest of your system? One thing to remember is that just because the reading is on-die does not mean it is an accurate temp. What it does do very well, is give you relative temps differences very very well. Like if you changed out that Swifty for say a Cascade, you would see the 4-5C temp drop very clearly where with the insocket, you would be hard pressed to discover 2C of a difference.

I have the same problem and can't get a straight answer either. Reading 30 on die and 45 socket now. I don't care about the temps anymore except for comparison with my own setup. I find comparing temps with other people to be the most useless thing I've ever seen.

*edit* Also I know the thing is off because at stock settings the on die reads the same as the ambient temp under load :rolleyes:

Back