• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte 8KNXP overclocking results?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LuckMan212

Gigabyte 8KNXP overclocking results

I am considering switching from an Asus P4C800E-Dlx (which is a great mobo that I love) to a Gigabye 8KNXP, for the sole reason that it's one of the only i875 mobos that I know that uses holes for the Northbridge cooling solution. (it's also very cool looking with all those colors! :D and the 6-phase power stage looks interesting)

ya see, I'm trying to spec out a nice watercooling setup and getting a good NB block that can attach securely with those dumb little clips that 99% of the i875 boards use seems like a difficult task.

Can any peeps who have gotten good/bad OC's out of the 8KNXP report back here and let me know the good/bad/ugly of it? I need a board that can be stable at 290-300 fsb, and I've heard (anecdotally) that this board doesn't OC too well and is particularly finicky when it comes to using dividers on your RAM. True?

Last edited:
I'm using a 8KNXP Ultra Rev. 2 board and switched to the Gigabyte from a P4C800 Dlx.
With the only change being the mainboards I have gotten much better results with the Gigabyte board. The Asus board is much more finicky with ram timings etc.... At least that's been my experience so far.
The gigabyte board is also much more stable than the Asus board. I've become a bit tired of Asus' flakiness. Ever since the A7V333 I have bought Asus with each upgrade since and love and hate them. they always seem to have at least one bug or quirk of some sort.
My 8KNXP hasn't crashed yet or refused to boot. Not to mention the fact that the dual bios feature saved my butt one night after a careless
bios flash.

i got a 8knxp as well, and except for some driver problems with my sata raid 0 on the SI controller, no problems. I'm currently using easytune4 to oc my fsb about 15mhz and it does a pretty good job....(it wont allow me to go back down after i go up tho...., kinda finnicky-but then again, its software!)

I am running 3.26ghz right now on mine, out of a 2.6c. I think Im running a fsb of 1004mhz. Mine was an oem, so it didnt have the extra dps board with it, but Ive not had any problems so far. Only upgrade Ive done is new fan and heatsink.

I have the rev 2 non-ultra, and it's kinda finicky. For a long time, it wasn't too bad though.

I have Cosair XMS 433 memroy, and it worked somewhat well at 229 MHz, at 2.5-3-3-7. However, OCZ memory that is suppose to work at those timings at 2.7v and 233 MHz did NOT work even at the same settings as the Cosair! Suppose to be better memory, but no good.

I suspect that the motherboard is finicky, though. I can't go past 229 MHz. In fact, I am now at 227 MHz with my OCZ at 2.5-3-3-7.

Ive heard corsair doesnt work so well with this board. Kingston is what Ive been told to use. Im using generic pc3200 PNY with 2-3-3-7 right now, and pushing 250 out of the bus. I do have the memory backed off. When I tried to go over 229, it would not boot. I found that in the menu where I set the fsb speed, theres an option that defaults on auto. It controls the ram. When I went to 230, it backed off the memory to 1.66:1, and the overall ram speed went down to 375? or soemthing. I set it for manual and was able to push speeds up. I dropped it to 1.66:1 when I went over 240, and no problems yet.

only an average overclocking board (IMO, can't hit high FSBs stably) but really feature rich, better suited for P4s with high multipliers. Managed to push my SL6Z5 to 240FSB 1:1.

SL6Z5%208KNXP%20243FSB%20small.JPG

I turned PAT off and I was able to hit 233 MHz and the CPU is at 1.6v. Stable, but hot! Just need a better cooling solution. The Vantec Tornado 92mm is helping a bit, but not as much as I like. WC probably. :)

Mine is already a 3.0C, so I am getting 3.5 GHz out of it now. WOO! I doubt I can to the magical 250 MHz (1GHz FSB!), as that would push the CPU too high, and I'm not sure how the 8KNXP will take it. As many have said, not exactly a good board for extreme OCing. Good for mild OCs and having lots of features.

I added a zalman cooler to mine and at first I didnt notice a big difference, until I turned up the clock. The higher the load, the bigger the difference it made. My 2.6c is running 3.26ghz right now. I have forgotten but it should be right at 250 fsb. Granted my memory is turned down.

8KNXP Ultra results

Just got this board up & running, scsi system, very stable/great performance for a supposed "bad OCer." Have the Rev.2.0 Ultra.

3.4Ghz OCs to 3.9, voltage 1.6, dimm +0.3, fsb 916, OCZ PC3700 Gold rev2, RAID 0 X2 on A channel, Host scsi 73GB hdd on B channel. Loaded with peripherals & networked.

Mem Settings 2.5-3-3-7, HT on! No special timings or modifications even tried yet. Some online games crashed when pushed over 4Ghz OC, but most apps still did fine. Sisoft Sandra mem bandwidth test >5000 & rising with increased settings. Most reviewers couldn't go past 140 Mhz system clock with stable OC. Max of 133 for most mem makers modules & able to keep CAS 2.5. If PC4400 or > comes out with a 2.5 or lower CAS, then a breakthrough could occur for OCing this board.

Great potential..however, if OC is your only true aim...this mobo isn't i875 nirvana...& that dream board hasn't appeared yet!

I didn't get this board to OC radically, but the OCed stable performance with it is a pleasant surprise. The built in dual scsi channels take pressure off the pci bus. (previously used scsi pci controllers.)

Corsair memory is OUT for this board (with certain exceptions but check Corsair Support Forums for nightmares.)...ocz & kingston better choices, among others too. Also, do not install or use Gigabyte EasyTune Utility as it hurts the cause & bios menu is best for tuning.

Big PLUS..this board has very high quality mobo components..compared to almost any other high end board on the market. Gigabyte has produced a premium mobo winner. Sooo many options for disk storage setups & great features.

As a long time "converted rambus platform user," this i875 chipset board is my first DDR board & it rocks.

Last edited:
Back