• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help me overclock!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jayson1985

Registered
being the cheapy that i am a went out and bought some no name brand PC3700 RAM. since im not even going to reach real PC 3700 speeds its kinda of good choice.
put in the ram and it booted fine
passed 3 hours of memtest86 with no errors

specs:
amd xp 2400+ @ 2000MHz (266MHz FSB) unlocked muliplier of 9.5 can go lower the CPU can get up to 2300MHz on air so it should not be a limiting factor at all. the CPU can go down to as far as 750MHZ or lower with no problem

PC3700 ddr ram

asus a7n8x deluxe edition

started to overclock and problems rose. the memory is rated to reach at least speeds of 233MHz (466MHz) speeds. so why does it start to fail to boot or boot into windows at speeds of 209MHz (410MHz) with setings of 2.7 Vcore, ugly timmings of 7-4-4-3T and CPU upped to 1.7 Vcore. the memory will not go past 210MHz at all.

since that didnt work i used settings of multiplier 7.5 x 210 and still will not boot at all.

i dont know what the problem is the settings of 7.5 x 210 is can not be stressing the CPU. i even upped the Vcore on both memory and CPU to the max. could it be that the CPU can not handle those FSB speeds?? or is the memory just stupidly cheap??

Similar story here ...

I've been havin' a tough (but fun) time getting my combo of mobo/cpu/ram to O/C well ... cpu requires 1.8v just to get to 2200 mHz ... ram won't go beyond 205 @ 2.9v (without getting errors in memtest). I'm tempted to blame my a7n8x (in combo with my barton) for the "weakness".

Wanting for more FSB out of this ram (BH5 $$$), I have resorted to purchasing an ABIT NF7-S (rev.2) board. I'm "hoping" (fingers crossed) it will be a better o/c'r than the a7n8x has been, for me at least.

Who knows, maybe I've just got a "crappy" unlocked Barton :rolleyes: ... but since MemTest86 produces errors (during test #5 only) at anything over 205 fsb, it leads me to believe it's the NF2 chipset on the ASUS board ... the read-me file that comes with memtest discusses this issue.

Wish me luck ... I'll be posting my results after I get around to the swich-over.

Cheers

Back