• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Heatercore that can fit dual 120mm fans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ad Rock

Well I am thinking of maybe moving to an external HC setup sometime and just want to see if I have any options for a HC that would fit dual 120mm fans on one side. I guess I could use a standard caprice core and just make the the shrouds taper the other way. Anyway hopefully someone knows something about this.

i have read up on this, and i found the best bang for the buck is a fedco 2-342 heater core. i just bought one for 30 bucks at advanced auto, but it was dented, so, later today, my exchange should be in.

i just started water cooling a matter of minutes ago, and i am using a huge aluminum pot for a res, so i can test for leaks and so on, without my core.

like you, i plan to do an external water cooling rig....well, i plan to use a second case to hold the water goods, and i run the hoses to my pc case.

i picked up on a maze2 waterblock here at the forums a few days ago, and would like to know what waterblock you are using.

as for the heater core, i think the one i have is for a 1990 caprice, although, when i look for a core for the caprice, i get a slightly different part number.

this thread shows a chart which suggests the 2-342 heater core has the least water flow resistance, which means easier flow, and less restriction. and, it is plenty big enough to mount 2 120mm fans comfortably: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=264046&highlight=fedco ;)

I am running a Swiftech 5000-A at the moment. I really like it so far and I got it off a fellow forum member.

I was looking at that link and I really like how the inlet/outlet works on that heatercore. I was thinking of maybe running two heatercores in a series and that layout would make the setup a lot easier for me. Thanks for that link again to that heatercore :D.

i have been told that a heater core half that size is suitable for a cpu, and maybe one other waterblock. so, i'd assume that a single 2-342 would be more than enough for you , or for me. it was suggested to me that i get this heater core, because i plan to overvolt a lot.

i'd suggest getting one, and if you feel a need to be more extreme, i doubt a second one would hurt.

i do think a second heater core would add more water flow resistance, so be sure your pump can handle it.

i have a pump which is different from what most folks use here. i had this pump for aquarium use, and decided to use it until i can afford something a bit quieter. my pump is rated at 330 gph, and has a 13 foot head. the flow rate is about average with most pumps used my water cooling rigs, but the head is a bit more. i like the extra backbone this pump has, but i don't like the hummmmmm sound. i'll get used to it though...

;)

I am also running a Swiftech MCW-20 and will be adding a MCW50 to my loop soon. Also I plan on building my own HD block and maybe attempt a power supply block. I will proboly end up putting the CPU on its own loop and the other components on the other rad. I dunno really what I am gonna be doing just yet as my current WC setup is working rather well right now. Just trying to evaluate all my options :).

The Big One said:
were can i find heatcore that are able to use 2 120mm on them?

In that link that Madsam posted a person in there purchased theirs from Napa. I noticed your location however and I really have no idea where you would go to get that part. I think you might have a hard time finding this heatercore :( .

The Big One said:
were can i find heatcore that are able to use 2 120mm on them?

can you get parts for american cars? we are using heater cores made to fit various cars, usually a 1990 chevrolet caprice heater core would work. i believe the chevette heater core fits 1 120mm fan.

if not, then i would suggest looking into some type of heater core for a larger car, or truck/van typically found in your area.

some folks here like to visit the local junk yard, or scrap yard, for used heater cores.. sometimes they will have some on a shelf that you can pick through........bring your tape measure.

hopefully someone else will have more info on heater cores in israel. good luck....;)

Back