• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

people are saying L12 mod for more fsb!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Overclocker550

Is this a gimmic or does it really work? does it usually not work but once in a while does? some guy said he got 235fsb using the trick at 1.7v chipset voltage! no one knows why but some had luck. How hard is it, whats the risks and can the copper wire be plated with another metal or must it be pure copper? does it matter as long as it conducts? should I default to 333 or 400fsb and what could go wrong? since its a pain to remove the slk-800 it better be worth it :) what I could do is put the stock cooler with the wire trick and just boot at 5x multi at the highest fsb I can get. I know my cpu will be underclocked but its just to see my max fsb. If it doesnt help, I remove wire and put slk-800 back. if it helps stock cooler is easy to remove, I put slk-800 back and enjoy higher fsb and more 3dmarks :D

thanks for the headup. might be worth a try, it may or may not help but cant hurt! will any copper wire thin enough to fit with the cpu work? will it work if its plated with something but inside its still copper? can any ground pin with a30 be used? I may just use 30-32 for that.

Im using the L12 mod since day 1. Ive also used it on VIA boards that do not have access to multi adjustments.

So the anwser is yes, it is safe. Does it work? I dunno, like I said I used it since day 1.

Right now I'm @ 224. Someone mentioned that raising the AGP voltage increases stability. I dunno why but its true, and because of it im no longer stuck @ 220

Unfortunatly my CH-5 isnt very agreeable and does not like x-tra power, and therefor Ive reached my limit.

However I do not know if this would be the limit if I had some BH-5 :(

But hey OC550 you gotta remember, if ya crazy enough to (lol) volt mod your NB, then why are you balkin at modding the CPU :D

Go for it. Unless you're a dumba$$ and put the pins in the wrong spot then you ok!

The various guides on L12 are too ambigous for me. So I use this guide. Its the same thing, but the pics are better and the name is different.

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?/html/workshop/pinmod/amd_pinmod.html

Just follow the pic for 166FSB and that is the "L12" mod. Make sure you choose the "socket view" and pay close attention to the picture. Make sure you are looking at the correct end!(almost did it mirrored)

i couldnt change the speed off my cpu once i did the L12 mod it said it was a 3200+ @ 2.2ghz lol so i dont know but its my ram holding me back now anyway

I am not doing the mod until I am exactly sure. this appears to be a disperency and one of the pics is wrong!

Overclocker550 said:
I am not doing the mod until I am exactly sure. this appears to be a disperency and one of the pics is wrong!

The link I posted (and looking at yours), shows my link connects pin 30 to the vss ground.

OC550

This pic I and Octavian showed you is correct. I am using the L12 mod via the picture I showed you Im not sure what the other one does.

I know for a fact that the one I showed you is absolutly correct .

Do not, I repeat do not go by the other pictures!

Sentential said:
OC550

This pic I and Octavian showed you is correct. I am using the L12 mod via the picture I showed you Im not sure what the other one does.

I know for a fact that the one I showed you is absolutly correct .

Do not, I repeat do not go by the other pictures!

Good to know... I haven't tried it myself, but am planning on giving it a shot.

Why not :D

Im using it right now without any problems whatsoever.

Ive used this method numerous times with difficult boards. None have died using this process.

However the initial attempt is a bit scary :eek: It takes.....well it takes some *force* to get it into the socket ;)

It kinda does bend some pins, but nothing is affected by it.

Good Luck! :beer:

what thickness wire must be used? dad thinks itll just short your mobo out, but I told him the wire is only gonna touch two pins on the socket and cpu, is there a chance the wire can touch more than 2 pins on the cpu? also dad thinks the cpu wont fit with the wire. also the pic you guys posted is confusing, can someone take a screenshot and highlight in red dot using paint or photoshop? I have an xp2000 at 133fsb but the interactive guide keeps giving me different pins to short!

It will be difficult to get a pic of it

Here how it works

#1 Select "socket view"
#2 Select CPU type
#3 Ignore V-core (doing this sets default v-core)
#4 Ignore Mult (sets default multi)
#5 Select 166FSB

This pic will show you a top - down view of the actual socket. Line the chiped ends of the CPU socket to figure out which holes to put your cable in

From there you take something like speaker wire and cut it long enough to span the holes. (like 10-15mm or so)

Then flaten the top of the wire and that part is done. Next take CPU and put in the socket. It will require some force, make sure you get the CPU all the way in.

Yes this will short out the mobo....but in a good way :beer:

If you got questions let me know!

Back